Scrimshaw - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Scrimshaw

Was wondering if anyone ever tried doing some scrimshaw work on a horn.Is it possible to do a half way decent job in the beginning?Could you recommend a starter kit.Or is it just best to contact someone with your ideas and have one made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Re: Scrimshaw

check out the book "recreating a 18th century powder horn", by Sibley. It is possible just use a pencil to draw out your design and take your time

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM
The Man

A friend started out practicing on horns that had defects and would never make a nice powder horn. just worked areas of the "bad" horn smooth and through trial and error got really good at it. Never drilled or put plugs in his practice horns.

He told me he spent a lot of time reading and looking at pic's of old horns to get idea's. He also said a lot of the old horns had some small mistakes on them, in his words "it gives the horn a unique, one of a kind, character"

Good Luck

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Attempting this myself. I have found a machinist scribe works best for me. Drawn in pencil and then scratched in horn. I tried various other implements (dremel, pencil engraver, razor blade knife) and did not seem to get the results I was looking for. I got a book at Dixons and searched the web for ideas and methods. Bought the horns at a show in Greensburg PA last day of archery season. Bought an extra to practice on.
Steel wool and very very fine sandpaper to clean things up. I used inletting ink to make the letters black. Bought that at Dixons also. I'll get the name of the book and the other stuff and PM you if you like.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ty,Jester.I appreciate it
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Sent you a PM with pics.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Just in case anyone else is interested in this....here are pics of the materials I used (all purchased at Dixons).

In addition to the scribe I used 400grit snadpaper, 0000 steel wool and a file to cut the groove for the strap and shape the spout. This all is explained in the book and lots of tips are available online and in the book also.

I paid $20 for 3 horns, $7.50 for the book and $6.50 for the inletting dye.( not sure what the brass fitting cost was) The enjoyment of creating something is well worth it.

The horn I'm making is a gift for someone on here and I don't want him seeing it. I'll post the finished product later.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM

I have seen some beautiful antler inlays that had been scrimmed. As well as some large antler bases made into belt buckles that had been carved and scrimmed in the center of the "burst".

It won't work for a powder horn of course, but antler IMO is a little easier to scrimm than horn. (powder measures, priming horns, inlays etc)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

I inlaid this pice of deer antler in the stock a few years ago. Still workin up the courage to inscribe something on it. Also need to fill in around it with someting. I found antler to be harded to scribe in that horn.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks jester for the PM and all the info.Gives me a good excuse to go to Dixons and go to Dietrichs Meat Market down the road.If anyone is into smoked meats and assortments,i highly recommend them.Gotta get my PON Haus (Scrapple) LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page