spark...no flash? no boom?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

spark...no flash? no boom??

So today I finally got a decent shot at a doe...haven't hunted hard this season....but have seen deer when I've been out...just couldn't buy a good shot...

Finally nice doe stops and I got just enough vitals and front shoulder to make the 35yd shot...good rest..."man...that's the steepest hill around..do I wanna kill her down here??" Ahhh why not? Drag it half mile out the creek and have a truck waitin on me...

Well, the hammer fell...sparks flew...I seen em! No flash...no boom...all 5 took off to my buddy to miss...

I've never had spark and no flash...pan powder was fresh 4f...dry...fresh...level in the pan...

Spark seemed awful. Bright...it caught my attention...

Could wind possibly blow the spark away from the pan??? The spark is shaved metal...seems possible???

I'm not digging for excuses...its rocklock hunting! But, I've never had it happen...my gun is known for goin off reliably...I take care of the lock and flint and it does its job when I need it to...

Any thoughts?? The wind thing may be a reach...but it was howlin down the creek bottom...maybe just bad luck none of them sparks hit the pan...maybe the wind blew them...maybe the wind "blew them out" and they weren't hot enough...I don't know...that's why I'm posting...can't fix errors without knowing a cause...thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: spark...no flash? no boom??

No idea, yesterday I had a nice buck 10
Yards away broadside , spark, flash, no bang . Day before fired over a dozen shots at range , no problems , cleaned gun down , new flint, everything, still didn't go off. To add insult to injury, he stood there long enough to put more powder in the pan , then ran off.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
The Man

I had a flash in the pan yesterday on a nice five pointer...about 16" spread! After he ran, I re-charged the pan and aimed at a stump...you guessed it, KA-BOOM!

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Possibly your pan powder never ignited maybe it fell out of the pan before shooting it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
The Man

I only put a small charge in the pan and make sure it is away from the touch hole...checked it several times while stalking this deer in his bed.

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM

could be your flint isnt lined up right and it hits too high on thr frizzen and the spark goes away from the pan. just a guess with out seeing your set up.

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
The Man

Saw a guy one time rubbing the frizzen with his thumb.Then he wondered why he had no spark.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM
The Man

When I load I work the powder into the touch hole and fill pan about half full.So far so good.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Powder level with the pan may be a bit too much. If normally you are getting a delay, even a small one, this may be an issue. I would think that a gusty wind could have an effect. Remember, it's not the shavings from the spark that is igniting the main charge.....it's the hot gases from the 4f burning in the pan.
Another thing it could be was maybe just a small particle of impurity in the powder, juts enough to block some of that gas from iginting the charge. I know that may sound silly but my inline has had that happen 2 times now. I've found a piece of (?) in the hole that leads from the primer to the main charge. That tiny particle was able to block the primer charge from igniting the main charge.
Good Luck!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
The Man

I,m also checkin to make sure the powder is dry and that the touch hole is clear.It wouldn,t take to much moisture even as condensation to plug the touch hole.Were you takin your rifle from warm to cold and back?I leave mine in a locked unheated garage during huntin season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page