A GREAT end to the season.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A GREAT end to the season..

This evening was a GREAT evening hunting. I have been hunting hard this week, with the recent snow fall, without any luck. I put a lot of miles in this week and seen a few (9)deer. Without any one out hunting all I seemed to be doing was pushing deer all over the mountain.
This morning didn't start out so good. I was walking out my driveway to head to drive the school bus and fell on the ice. I landed on my arm fase first , my arm went under me and when I hit I felt one of my ribs GIVE. I recovered, stood up and had no problem breathing so I figured I didn't do any lung damage. I drove the bus in the morning and went out hunting in the afternoon. I hoofed it for a while and seen 0 deer. I saw a lot of tracks and decided to sit in a ravine for the last hour. At about 5:20 I was getting ready to call it another (no deer) day when 4 deer headed my way. With the minutes ticking to the end, they came within about 40 yards when the smallest one picked me out. She just stood there and the others started to pass her, my way. The first one to pass was a large deer, while waiting for that shot I noticed an odd head on "her", she, was a bald "HE", antlers already dropped. I moved to the next bigger deer, but now the little one started moving to the left, back down the draw with the others in tow. I was able to put the bead of my 50 cal with bower belt sabots on the opening they were about to come out into. The 2nd deer in my sights was a good sized doe and I leveled the sight behind her shoulder and squezzed, KA-BOOM!! Smoke and fire is all I saw.
I couldn't see the deer running and couldn't see the one I was shooting at.After the smoke cleared (now the lighting is going) I saw no deer in sight. I went to where they were and just saw tracks, figuring they went down the draw, I picked up "running tracks". I followed them for about 100 yrds, thank god for the snow, but found no blood. I returned to the spot thinking "oh well thats hunting", I again started looking for blood with a light and still couldn't find any but found a set of running tracks going the other way the others took. I followed them for about 25 yrds and had no blood, but wondered why this deer didn't follow the others. With no blood I was saying to myself that I must have came darn close to her for her to break away from the others. I went about 10 more yrds and there was MY DEER, deader then dead.
I tug her then drug her to a better spot for the guttin chore. There was a little blood where she was lying but that was it. When I did the chore I found that she had lots of blood within her and then found the heart, the top was blown off. I was stunned, WHY NOT ANY BLOOD TRAIL?
I hit her perfect and yet, if not for the tracks in the snow and me not giving up, I would have just chalked it up to a miss.
Now my question is has anyone out there ever had a heart shot and no blood, it was a first for me.
Any way it was a great end to my season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 AM
The Man

Re: A GREAT end to the season..

Congrats.Yes,I have run into the same situation with my flinty.Last year I dropped a buck where he stood.This year I have followed up some shots with thorough search with no signs.I follow up on m/loader shots sometimes for hours till I,m convinced I missed.It took me findin my impact from my ball on a tree to call off my search last Saturday.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, seems to happen ALOT with the flinter, that's why it's important to look and keep looking after you shoot! Congrats to you btw!

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM

I shot a doe this year with my .54 and it took the top of the heart out as well. The blood trail was pretty sparse at first, but got better and better. She ran about 150 yards. I was surprised. Got both lungs too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 AM
The Man

I clobbered one late this afternoon.Got tons of hair but no blood.Searched for a couple hours with no luck.Headin back out tomorrow to look.There is so many fresh tracks and trails goin in so many different directions in so heavy cover it is a hard track.I ain,t givin up yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page