accouterments - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

accouterments

whats everyone else do? do you buy your things or are you into making your own? a new gun always creates a lot of extra work and time for me, enjoyable but time consuming. I like to have everything for each gun, so when I want to use that gun all I have to do is grab the bag and horn for it and go. no fussing around with looking for things or taking them out of this bag or that bag or wherever. it keeps me out of trouble I guess and gives me something to do in those slow times, when and if there are any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:32 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: accouterments

I bought stuff for my first custom gun.

I am thinking about going to the Jacobsburg classes to do a bag and horn myself for my next one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 AM

Made my own powder horn, possibles bag, short starter and bullet board. I use a feather as a vent pick so I give credit to whatever bird has given up the most recent one I am using.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Banned

I have some items I've bought over the years, and recently have made some items. I bought two polished horns at Dixon's this year and made myself and my son a horn. I also bought some deer antler tips and made two powder measures. Bought two possible bag kits from Crazy Crow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:43 AM

Now that I'm about to have 3 flinters when my .50 cal delivers, I am DEFINITELY looking at building up a possibles kit individualized for each gun. No fuss, no muss when it comes time to hit the range or hunt.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

For the range, I got a big-ish tackle box at Walmart with the removable trays/boxes. Side "wing" storage fits powder cans, top for measures, starters, etc. Works great.

But yeah, for hunting, I like having what the rifle needs in one spot where it can't go missing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun
Now that I'm about to have 3 flinters when my .50 cal delivers, I am DEFINITELY looking at building up a possibles kit individualized for each gun. No fuss, no muss when it comes time to hit the range or hunt.
only way to go imo. I have always kept a good supply of different leather, beads, antler ect., to sit down and put something together. my wife bought me a woven basket with a lid that holds all of my sewing supplies. its in my corner of the living room and I can be making something in minutes when the mood strikes me. its a very enjoyable way for me to past the times in the evenings. I did however buy a knife blade at the eastern(which I usually make myself) just to have something someone else has handmade and a couple small handmade bags for in my big bag, same reason.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 PM

It is amazing how one sport, muzzle loading can lead off into working with antler, sewing, leather work, tanning,casting, carving, inletting, scrimshaw, etc. I can think of no other field of hunting that has so many tendrils that reach into so many other things.

I just finished making a "Holtzhammer und Ladestuck" (mallet and loading stick) for an acquaintance that has a German salute gun. The mallet is a usual wooden hammer arrangement, a loading stick is very stout and is used to literally hammer oversize wads down on top the powder. So for an 18 mm bore, the loading stick shank should be about 14 mm, and then a reinforced top to prevent mushrooming while being hit with the mallet. I turned them from pin oak on my lathe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page