Christmas Vacation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Christmas Vacation

I was at camp from Christmas day until Monday, January 3rd and managed to get out with the flinter for a day. I hunted the Slater Run Rd area of Pidgeon where I've hunted since I was 12 years old. I started off sneaking through an area of about a sq mile of a stand of pines. I was stunned at the amount of deer sign I came upon. I literally couldn't take a step without crossing deer sign. However, it was all a few days old and I reasoned since there had been a climb in temps, the deer had moved out of the shelter of the pines and back into the surrounding hardwoods. I angled in a direction I knew would take me out of the pines and sure enough, when I reached an edge where a small meadow created a break between the pines and the hardwoods I came upon a deer feeding. I knew immediately by the shape of his body it was a buck and at about 60 yards, I could see the tips of two tines on a rack. Problem was, he had his head down feeding in a bit of a depression and he was quartering away from me. The one time he lifted his head he did so only a foot from the ground while turning it to his left, completely obscuring it from my view. He placed it right back down and continued feeding. When I came upon him, I was, as usual, in the wide open with no tree next to me. There was a tree about 5 yards in front of me. The wind was perfect, the snow made for silent walking. I began to ease up to the tree. I reasoned the buck had no idea of my presence and eventually I would get a look at his rack to determine if he was leagal or not. The tree would afford me a good rest in the event I was able to shoot. I got within two feet of the tree when I heard a snort about 10 yards to the right of the buck. Just like a typical woman to ruin everyone's fun, the doe I never saw behind that little pine tree put an end to my plans. That buck never even looked back. By the time I looked in the direction of the doe and then back to the buck, he had dissapeared into the hardwood thicket. I have no idea if he was a legal buck or not but I counted the hunt as a success. I was within range of an ususpecting deer and relearned a lesson from my academy days about tunnel vision being a killer. The best part of the hunt was I never came across another person, or any sign that another person had been in the area. I love the ANF in flinter season!

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
The Man

Re: Christmas Vacation

Nice thats what its all about
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

One of my most memorable hunts was a snowshoe hunt in the ANF. I stayed at the old Iron City camp and with more than 20 inches of snow on the ground, we hunted on snowshows among the pines and hemlocks. We took three deer that trip but we could have shot nothing and it would still have been my best hunt! Really miss that camp!

GBJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

GBJ-------------you are one truely well traveled and blessed hunter!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
The Man

Nice story BH. Lesson learned for another hunt, I'm sure.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
The Man

Great story Bucket, years ago I hunted that area a lot for deer with a flinter and used a shotgun for snowshoe hares. A lot of great memories were made out of a little camp near there.

Those areas of planted pines are a real haven for deer.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page