Priming Powder Timing Test Results - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Priming Powder Timing Test Results

I was looking for something else and found this. Thought of you guys right off.

Of course - after reading this, I fully expect our resident experts to conduct tests and confirm the results.

Just say'n....

<a href="http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/priming-powder-timing.php" target="_blank">Priming Powder Timing

Reprinted from MuzzleBlasts April 2005 by Larry Pletcher ----

This article is another in a series of reprinted articles that measure a flintlock's ability to ignite black powder. This article compares ignition time of black powder varieties used for priming the flintlock pan.
</a>

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Priming Powder Timing Test Results

Hmm never thought much into that before... Always used Goex FFFF. I read through much of his article, didn't see where he "measured" the amount of each powder he used in each test. It's prob in there but something that came to my mind afterwards. I've always wanted to test how "little" priming power I can use and still get a good ignition.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Pletch does magnificent work. I have read some of his studies several times over trying to find errors and thinking about the results. Hard to fault anything he does. In one of his timing experiments he ignites the powder with a hot wire and measures the ignition into the barrel. My only reservation about that, is that my flint drops several sparks in a line across the pan, not in one spot. I don't know if that would alter the results or not. I was hoping someone would do similar testing for whether the shape of the pan matters and perhaps into whther a line of sparks would change the result.

Traditional wisdom was to put just a pinch of powder in the pan and have it settle slightly away from the touch hole. Pletch's experiment seems to say that the traditional wisdom is flawed. However, he ignites with a single hot wire ignition point. I don't know if multiple ignition points would differ. As i recall the one where he tested ignition speed based on where the prime powder was concentratedd was published in The Black Powder report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #000000">Bottom Line Results are: </span></span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #330033">The results from timing the four priming powder samples were : While this experiment can measure differences in the ignition speeds of these samples, the human eye and ear cannot tell the difference. The variations between the priming powders tested here are simply too small for human senses to detect.</span></span>

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 AM

While the human senses may not detect the differences. When it comes to trying to maintain the best possible accuracy, the faster ignition allows less movement to stray/flinch off target. 3fg is about 20% slower than 4fg. The difference in score, especially offhand would be measureable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page