T/C Renegade Loads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

T/C Renegade Loads

Ok, new to these flintlocks as you all know. Getting ready to head to the range now that the lock if functioning. I know each rifle is different but I have to following to try. Hornady .490 with different size patches to try, Hornady PA Conical s, and T/C maxi hunters the lighter version. I am going to use real black powder 3f. I plan on trying from 70 to about 90 grains. Some with a felt patch some with out. To try and find out exactly what the rifle likes.

Do any of you have any sage advise? I am hoping the PRB will shoot good as I want to keep it traditional. But I also want to make sure I have a rifle that can deliver a quick clean kill shot. (Ethical) I think all three will kill ok but now I need to find out what shoots the best. Is there anything I have forgotten or should try? Any advise will be great appreciated.

Take you kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:48 AM
The Man

Re: T/C Renegade Loads

Make sure after each,up to 3 shots,you run a wet patch followed by couple dry ones.You want to find what will give you accuracy with the 1st shot out of a clean barrel.
You should get less than 1 1/2" groups with the RB at 50yds.Often you will get clovers.
As far as projectiles,the RB is as good a killer as any.NOTHING lives with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs!
I have tried and killed deer with them all.None were any more dead than the other!
When using FFFg my TC's liked 70 grs and .015 patch.

DSCF2249 by t410er, on Flickr

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:23 PM

My TC Hawken shot very well with 90gr of 3fg and a .015 pre lubed patch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned

Today I had my .54 Lancaster out to the range. My first three shots were touching at 50 yards, albeit a little low. After that they opened up a little, but after I filed the front sight I was putting them in the 3" bull easily. I swabbed every third shot since it was a bit humid. BTW - I was using , 80 grains of ffg, .530 RB and .015 greased pillow ticking, hand cut.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Sounds like your getting her dialed in Blue Bird. This might sound dumb but what do you use to swab the bore with? A cleaner like T/C 13 or what?

Take you kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buck 173 B&C
Sounds like your getting her dialed in Blue Bird. This might sound dumb but what do you use to swab the bore with? A cleaner like T/C 13 or what?
I use spit to clean between shots, try to be consistent with how wet it is for best accuracy,

I do not run a dry patch down after running a damp cleaning patch down after every shot except when reloading while hunting.

for best accuracy when experimenting with a load or shooting matches, clean after every shot, being consistent will give the best results.

on some woods walks or plinking I will clean after every 3rd shot.

when experimenting on powder charges for accuracy I would make changes in 5grain increments instead of 10grains ( in .40 cal. I have made changes in 2.5grains of powder and had groups get better---or worse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page