L&R Lock Problem? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

L&R Lock Problem?

Hello, well my new lock came and I got it installed into my T/C Renegade 50 Cal Flintlock. Here is my problem the set trigger now has about a 50 lb pull to get it to set? LOL Other than that it seems to be working just fine. Oiled it and seemed to make no difference. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You guys have been a great help so far to a new guy to flintlocks.

Take you kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: L&R Lock Problem?

A pic of the trigger assembly would help.

With most double set triggers, there is a flat spring (mainspring) that sits on the back of the trigger bar and pushes down on the set trigger. Adjusting (counterclockwise to loosen) the screw on it will reduce tension.

Not sure about TC triggers, but it should be somewhat like the one on this pic. Trigger Parts

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It does take a fair amount of pull to on the rear trigger to set it. I don't know how much, my trigger pull scale on goes to 8 pounds and it's a lot more than that. If everything looks OK on the assembly and Rusty's idea doesn't help, I would check to see if some part of the assembly is contacting wood where it shouldn't. You can check this by applying a thin coat of vasoline to the inside of the lock then hold it over a candle to create some soot. Then insert it and seat it into the stock, then remove assembly, anywhere there is a dark spot of soot on the wood needs to be relieved, with the exception of the lock plate it's self.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another check is width of the sear bar on the L&R vs. the TC lock, from the inside flat of the plate. The tip of the sear bar might be bottomed out.I had that on a Hatfield I got an L&R lock for.

The more I thought about it, can't see why mainspring would get harder so hold on the spring adjustment. Probably wood bind somewhere!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well its not the sear Rusty I worked that all over and it is not touching anywhere. Odd thing is the T/C lock will drop in and the set trigger works fine. The L/R lock is hard as heck to get the set trigger to "Set"? LOL

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How tight is engaging the L&R sear out of the stock? Is the sear screw too tight? Something concerning the lock is bound up.

Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Think I got her Rusty, looked at how triggers worked when you pull the set trigger the regular trigger raises some. This was hitting the Sear. Re-read the instructions it said that on some models but normally not the 03 you have to trim some off the sear. I looked at the T/C and it has a flat slot on sear, so ground the sear flatter and it improved it allot. Might work on it some more tomorrow and get it even better. So there Rusty perhaps that might help you or someone else on down the line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page