What keeps you going? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 AM

What keeps you going?

I've been a fair weather flintlock hunter for about fifteen years. I got one shot at an easy twenty yards about ten years ago and managed to miss. Since then living in 5C and being able to rifle hunt through January...I usually just take out the .06 if I have not gotten a deer to get some meat to eat. Funny thing is that in the Fall I hunt with a recurve. This year I have been taking out the flintlock cause I really would love to harvest a deer with the roundball...problem is seeing them and then seeing them close. What keeps you guys in the game...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Banned

Re: What keeps you going?

deer blood
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
The Man

I just like being in the woods this time of year. The area I hunt I always see deer but I have yet to get one with a flintlock. Honestly, I am not sure if I even care if I get one. By the end of the day I am usually so tired I dont want to have to drag one out. Just seeing a deer still gets me excited though and it is a perfect time of year to scout for archery season. I have been out two times so far and on both days I still hunted from dawn to almost dark and I loved every minute of it.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I change the tactics we use in rifle season. Short 1 man drives of the silent nature. No big noise while driving just walking. Seems to keep them slowed down for the gunner. Also just do some nice slow stalks in the mornings and a few evenings of posting along field edges. These have been working for me. I have hunted witha few larger groups 6-12 guys in drives and they were fun too. Lots of shooting and little hitting.
Example: 13 guys last saturday. 1st drive over 20 deer running. 6 shots and one hit. Did 3 more drives. 7 more shots no hits. BUT.....we did recover the deer hit on the first drive. Thats successful in my book.
BTW: I know I'll get a beating if I don't mention that I did NOT shoot at any deer on saturday!! LOL!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 AM

I have no idea why Im still out there chasing. I have yet to get a deer with the flint lock. Lots of misses, 1 so far this year. I starting thinking today why I am I still out here. Im bored and cold. But its the thought of in one second it could all change. BTW I have hunted almost everyday and only seen 3 deer while hunting. But Im going be out again tomorrow. Ill prob hang the gun up wed or thursday if I dont tag out by then and getting ready to head back to school.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just a good time to enjoy the woods after all the crowds from rifle season age gone. Love the stillness and seeing the animals on their normal routines again. Oh yeah, and the fact that I'll be holed up the rest of winter makes it nice to be out.

Wandering in the Woods with Stick and String
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
New Arrival

How do you keep going...i've only ever seen one deer in my backyard. it was an accident. I've seen many many many more in the woods. The odds are greater!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One, you cant hunt them sitting on the couch. Two, the things you see in the woods firsthand is nothing like anyting you will see on TV. Third, WE love the outdoors! Fourth, there is no place more quiet for me to be with my Creator.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM

It's a challenge and I'm not much for giving up quickly.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The Man

Been hunting with a flinter for about 40 years or so, killed some, missed more, Have had everything happen from dry ballin' to snappin' off a ramrod a mile or so from my truck (there ain't no 40" straight sticks in the woods LOL) but I keep going out because, well just because the Good Lord lets me keep doing it.

For me it is a great time to be outdoors, I don't mind the cold or the snow, freezin' rain can be a little nasty some days.

It is a great to spend time with like minded hunters, guys who don't worry about getting a deer themselves but will work their tails off just so someone in the gang gets a shot. Guys who will share anything in their possibles pouch, even lend another like minded flinter their rifle so the guy who is having problems can have success. Guys who will put the guy or gal who never got a deer in the best spots so they have the best chance to fill their tag. The comradeship is priceless.

When I hunt alone it is just nice to be able to sit and watch the Good Lords handy work all around you. Watch the different critters and how they go about their everyday lives. Many a time I have drawn a bead on a deer only to quietly say "bang" and be satisified that I was able to get close enough for a kill but let it walk to be hunted another day.

It isn't the kill, it's the hunt.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page