My new .36 cal flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

My new .36 cal flintlock

As far as my wife is concerned, this one fell off the Postal Service truck and onto the porch.

The bottom line is that I now have my squirrel and small game black powder gun.

This .36 caliber lefty flintlock was built by Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN:

- 44" Green Mountain barrel (swamped)
- Left handed Siler lock
- Fancy curly maple stock (dark brown stain)
- Iron furniture (still "in the white" - will probably rust brown finish it)
- Davis double set trigger

The wood on this thing looks fantastic and the trigger breaks beautifully, both set and un-set. As you can see by the picture of his signature, Tip ships his guns "in the white", so it will need some steel wool cleanup to knock off light surface rust and ready it for final finishing. Alternatively, I can keep it in the white and just clean up the existing look. A good oil coat after cleaning it up will keep it rust-free, but I will probably just go ahead and brown it to keep the long term maintenance minimal. This Siler lock is FAST, *way* faster than my Lyman factory lock, and the beefy mainspring on it gives a good clue as to why that is.

Tip is an old guy now, into his mid-80s, but he still does great work out of his shop in Cross Plains, TN. I got to shoot it briefly today, and was extremely pleased. The first two shots overlapped at 25 yard and the 3rd shot was just slightly outside of that group. Lock time is excellent as you can see in this brief video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA1AxfZoqg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:23 AM

Re: My new .36 cal flintlock

Man that sucker is quick!

Nice looking rifle too! My turkey Fowler started as a precarve done by Tip and all the parts were bought from him.

Are you going to do anything else to the wood?? Could be the lighting and angle but almost looks like it could use a couple more coats of oil..

Could leave the metal bright and let it take on its own patina...or brown it..or blue it..I think it'll look good..wasn't uncommon for guns to be left bright..after a while of shooting and hunting it'll age on its own.. just oil the bore and parts of the lock that need oiled..

I can't believe how quick that thing is lol..
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! Yeah, she's definitely quick. Here's a clip of it discharging in slow-motion so you can see the works deploying in a little better detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0IYHghEBZ0

The combination of that Siler lock and what appears to be a "White Lightnin'" touch hole liner clearly makes for a seriously fast lock time. After the first shot, I inspected the touch hole and thought that it was plugged. When I looked closer, I realized that what I was seeing was not fouling, but a *single granule of FFFg* staring at me from the main charge! That liner puts you REAL close to the main bang, and that has to play a huge part in the lock time being so instantaneous.

As for the wood, I think I'm going to leave it be. I like the matte look it has and the fact that it's not terribly flashy for practical reasons.

I may do just what you said and leave the metal bright. Tip warned me not to try and take this thing back apart because of how slim and fragile that stock is without the barrel supporting it. Obviously, he'd hate to see me break it. I think I would hate that even more! Since pulling it from the wood is verboten, allowing it to naturally age and patina sounds more and more like a good plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM
The Man

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:47 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Nice rifle!

Hard to tell from a couple of pics, but that fore end doesn't look overly slender to me...?

Not disputing what you were told, but there may come a day when you do need to dismount that barrel from the stock. Just be cautious and careful and you'll be ok. It's not like a TC Hawken....

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Nice! I want a .36 cal. Planning my next build now and it will be a .36 cal. Researching W.PA guns to use as the style

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:03 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have a 36 cal rifle also in my sights, so to speak!

I've read on ALR and other places that guys running 36's often use buckshot as a source for roundballs. Would sure make for easy procurement...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
I can neither confirm nor deny that I have a 36 cal rifle also in my sights, so to speak!
Good One!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:34 PM

I pour my own, so procurement of balls is not the problem. Procurement of the rifle (more like funds for) ...whole nother aminal

Now Six Guns new rifle is going to make me pinch and save my pennies more. See what happens after the show in Morgantown mid Sept. May even come away with some parts or wood

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
Nice rifle!

Hard to tell from a couple of pics, but that fore end doesn't look overly slender to me...?

Not disputing what you were told, but there may come a day when you do need to dismount that barrel from the stock. Just be cautious and careful and you'll be ok. It's not like a TC Hawken....

Thanks! As for the build, the forend on this little gun is definitely...svelte. It's just one of those things where I don't want to test it unless there's a critical reason to take the gun down, especially given how adamant he was about not attempting it.

To the guys considering a small caliber build in the future, all I can say is that if you have never fired one, you're in for a treat. After blasting 70+ grains of 2F under a .54 cal ball all of this time through my Lyman Great Plains rifle, punch off a 25 gr. charge of 3F behind a .350" ball is a fun, low impact experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page