Flinter rookie questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Flinter rookie questions

Hi All,

I've been hunting since I legally could (12). In SEPA we have late season antlerless with our slug guns, so I typically have always just grabbed my slug gun when heading out during late season. However, getting older I have a desire to hunt more north and in different areas. Also, I want to try new things (new to me). So this past Spring I picked up a great deal on a very well kept Lyman Deerstalker. It looks like a great no frills 50cal flinter. The person who sold it to me also gave me a powder horn, powder measure, ball starter, primer, powder, etc. One thing that is nice is all the tools are brass. Any who with being new to flintlocks I was hoping I could just use powerbelts and not patch and ball. At least to start. I understand I did purchase a good quality flintlock (or at think I think I did). So, if patch and ball will get me the most out of this rifle then I'll try it, but I'm sure we have other Lyman Deerstalker users out there.
What have you had success with?
Certain loads with certain rounds?
It's an older lyman so no fiberoptic sights. Are they needed. I was told the older iron sights can be a pain sometimes in darker situations.

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Flinter rookie questions

I use powerbelts and they tend to fragment but I like them in black powder guns because they are easy to load. Sights are personal preference. I don't really like fiber optic sights and tend to shoot better with regular ones. Shoot your gun some. Adjust loads down for more accuracy (I use 80 of 2f).
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 AM

What you shoot is 1000% upto YOU...but as a rule of thumb roundballs like a slower rate of twist...the longer the projectile the faster the rate of twist needed to stabilize it typically...

The deerstalker has a 1:48" twist I believe...

Those are odd balls...some like power belts or even sabots...some like roundballs...

You can try whatever you'd like to shoot and see if they shoot accurately...

Id suggest starting with short Conicals...240gr Hornady PA conical, a 295gr (or so) power belt, etc...the 1:48 likely won't stabilize a long (heavier) conical or sabot...but you never know...with the shorter barrel I doubt it...but you don't know till you shoot...guns break "rules" all the time...they are merely guides to start with...

As far as sights....that's completely upto you as well..if you're comfortable with them use them...if not look into fiber optics or other sight alternatives...

Good luck! Feel free to ask questions...it's the only way to learn...and there's plenty to learn about flintlocking...

Also...be warned...black powder smoke can be more addictive than any drug on the street!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

1:48 is a compromise twist meant to "do all". The end result is usually acceptable accuracy with a range of projectiles, but rarely "tack driver" capability with any projectile.

I have a TC Renegade with a 48 twist. Many TC's do.

I've killed deer with it with round balls and sabots. It shot both about the same....nothing to go bragging on, but it'll kill deer. I got my longest flintlock kill to date with that rifle-- 90 paces, offhand.

Usually with the shorter guns like that, 70-90gr of 3F is the sweet spot. You can try 2F, but the shorter guns do better with 3F.

As mauser said, sights are all preference. Use what you got for now, and if you don't like it, have 'em changed. It's a little bit of a ride, but you could take it to Dixon's in Kempton for that work. Everyone has their favorite types of sights, so don't let anyone tell you that you need one or the other. Figure out what your eyes like.

You will get very good service from your flintlock with some attention to proper care and use. It's not rocket science, but it does have a little bit of a learning curve. And you will learn some lessons the hard way. That's the process. Ask any flintlock hunter for some of his stories, and I guarantee you'll hear some that cause chuckles now, but caused some serious cussing at the time!

Another option, too, is a maxiball, which will likely shoot fairly well in that rifle.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've had Lyman's Deer Stalker in .50, and now the Trade Gun in .54. Both basically the same barrel. I've shot PRB's and Maxi Balls out of both and either are more accurate than I am capable of at 50 yards. I now just shoot PRB's because they work fine and are cheaper.

I can see where fiber optics would be desirable in low light situations, but I like the traditional Buckhorn sights.

Like was mentioned above try different things and do it the way you like. The best thing you can do is shoot until the sequence you settle on is almost done in the sub-conscious.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

And don't do what I did....I used cut agate flints for a long, long, long time. I finally....FINALLY....went to knapped English flints when I got my long rifle, and what a difference.

Several good sources for them without breaking the bank, too.

I would get 6-12 shots from an agate flint on my TC.

On my long rifle, I have lost count of shots on a flint. I know I've shot over 40 shots at the range in a single session without doing anything more than wiping the fouling off the flint and frizzen.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Not to hijack but s we are giving advice and discussing stuff...

The normal agate flints from TC or whoever in blister packs never worked well for me...

But the German Agate...that's. Different animal...mine are a white/clear color... expensive but they are 2 sided...can't really be knapped but they spark a very long time...in my updated TC lock and L&R replacement lock they spark the best...

Need to find a source for them..the guy I bought them from closed shop..

Funny how identical guns can like different flints, loads, powders, projectiles etc...but that's half the fun for me..a good reason to make smoke with flint n steel...

My biggest tip to becoming good with the flintlock is practice...a lot...i struggled a bit when I first started...i burnt several pounds of powder one summer...i learned my rifle and how to shoot it and keep it happy...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:41 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Dixon's has the cut agate flints, mauser. If you get jammed up for them and can't make it to the gunmaker's fair, let me know and I can get you some and send them out there.

They spark really strong for 6-12 snaps for me and then they have to be flipped. Then repeat.

When they stop, they STOP. Like, strong spark on one snap, NOTHING on the next.

You can "knap" them. I've used the shaft of a screwdriver I don't care about and you can tap them gently and get an edge back for a few more shots. Not like the English flints, but it can be done.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

This is great stuff! Thanks guys!

I believe what I have on the rifle now is a white agate. Should I pick up some English Knapped flints? The only one I have is what's on the rifle.
I kinda figured 3F would be best. The 2 cans of goex I recieved with the rifle were 3F and 4f. No telling what he was shooting before. I purchase the rifle from the original owners son. His father passed and he inherited the lyman. He doesn't like to hunt with a flintlock so he sold it to me. Otherwise I'd love to know what he previously put down the pipe.
Anybody have luck with 295gr tipped PB?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

3f for main charge and 4f to prime. Don't load with 4f.

Make CERTAIN the rifle is not already loaded, too. Sometimes charges are left in guns and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page