Wood scraper??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Wood scraper???

So....getting nearer the end of my build...I'm getting ready to start finishing...

I've been reading about sanding vs scraping wood...

I think for my application I'd like to scrape it...

Problem is....i can't seem to find out "with what".

People talk about scraping instead of sanding but I can't figure out if they make a tool...or what hey are using...

Anyone scrape instead of sand and willing to share some insight???

I want my grain and curl to pop...i bought grade 4 curly maple...i wanna show it off! Lol. I think scraping will help achieve that...leaving a nice clean surface for the stains to do theor magic...

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wood scraper???

Good morning. This is what I use for woodworking. http://www.rockler.com/cabinet-scraper-set.

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Watch a few youtube videos. It works very well.

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanx alot!!!

That seems way too "simple". But then again one guy said he uses broke glass...lol

I guess the trick is the angle and the burnish...

I'm gunna see what o can do to this stock..I have a good bit of wood to remove.....figure instead of getting after it with a rasp I can practice with my scrapers and get a feel for it....

I've never understood sanding...why would wood cut cleanly with chisles and razors need sanded? The s out my thoughts were right and sanding is kinda the accepted thing now a days..

The big reason I think scraping is the way to go.. especially for this stock..is the sanding dust clogging up the finish...

Will it make any difference? I dont know for sure...but it makes sense to me...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

you can use anything for a scraper, I use old hack saw blades turned into scrapers for the barrel channel....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:40 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I am just guessing at this, so take it for what it's worth, but couldn't you use a rasp or something equally aggressive to do the major removal portion, and scrape to fine tune/finish the job? Doesn't matter what it does to the surface to remove the wood aggressively at first if you scrape that surface off to finish.

I was talking to a builder who told me that he thinks a lot of people wind up backwards on this. They start with something really slow to remove wood, and then get frustrated and impatient and get more aggressive to "get it done." He said they should do it the other way around....more aggressive at first to get the "rough" part done and then get more careful and slow to finish up.

I'm enjoying "watching" you do this, as I'm taking my own notes on what you post for when I start a project of my own.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Most my posts and PMs to you is me thinking out loud lol...i don't know if anyone reads half of what I type lol...glad you do!!

I will use a rasp/heavy paper etc to remove the bulk of the wood...i have like 1/4" on the left side of the buttstock to remove...

Then like you said...the finish will be with the scrapers...which I just ordered..

I've collected a small supply of tools now...but next time I will have them...

I didn't like the buttplate...so I did a little more final fitting last night and plugged the holes..i ordered a special tool to drill the holes..i just couldn't get them centered...when the screw sent in...even slightly off center it pulled the buttplate from where i want it to be... basically a spring loaded device that goes around the drill bit and the tip is angled to hold in a countersink... should be exactly what I need...

Drilled and screwed in the trigger last night as well..

I have to inlet the trigger guard and finish up the nose...then I can start shaping..

I am pretty sure at this point I have everything and it's a matter of some time and work between me and the rifle being done...lol

Gunna be a long finishing process...I'm not cutting corners and the wood and metal won't be finished quickly....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you need to remove wood aggresively, an angle grinder with a 36 grit flap disk or flat sanding disk is amazing. Thats what I use to rough shape hickory hammer handles.

Just be slow with it at first haha, I'd practice on a 2x4 or something first.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:43 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I don't know about mauser, but taking a stock to a grinder would scare the bejeebers out of me!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I purposely haven't fixed my Dremel yet because I don't wanna touch the rifle with it....

No way I'm taking a stronger to a $220 piece of maple lol....

I don't have THAT much to remove...if I had a true blank and had to start shaping I would see a power tool...but even then I have really aggressive rasps I'd likely use...they are basically cheese graters lol...they'll est wood quickly...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page