Steel finish - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Steel finish

So many of you know I'm building a Hawken of sorts..

Long story short I have a blued green mountain barrel.. All the furniture and L&R lock are cast steel..

Don't know what direction to go with the furniture...

I don't really wanna mess with the barrel so it's gunna stay how it is for now...I know it won't match unless I polish and blue my furniture... No issue I have antiqued brass on my TC with a blued barrel and I don't mind..

I'd like a very old/worn look to the furniture...

My 2 thoughts are either blue it and steel wool it a bit and put some wear to it on the edges etc..

Or spray it with vinegar and let it rust and steel wool it and then wax it to preserve the look a bit...effectively it would be browning it but not as controlled or labor/time intensive...

Any thoughts or suggestions??? Once the stock work is done I have to drill/countersink the furniture and I will be ready to do start finishing the metal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Steel finish

I used Belgian blue on my L&R lock. It has nice color, sort of antique looking. https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...17#Post3808617
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Polish the furniture to your liking. Then degrease it and dip the furniture in soapy salt water. Hang up to dry for 24 hours and then wash with hot clean water. Let dry and steel wool it. If you want it darker, repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Rugered, I do like that for a blue...does have kind of a old look to it...how'd you go about polishing prior to bluing??

Zimm, sound like my vinegar spray idea....you have any pics of what it could produce??

Wasn't really planning on polishing...but the butt plate especially I had to grind off the casting left over so I guess I will have to polish/sand it all to match somewhat...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:01 PM

The idea is for a controlled slow rust. It takes on the same brown patina as frequently handled old tools, etc. The cleaning and steel wool keeps deep pits from being created. And you want just enough to color the steel brown, without that reddish loose rust scale. Once polished with 4-O steel wool and oiled it can be a very durable finish.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanx! That sounds exactly like what I am shooting for...

I got a bit of work till I'm ready for that step....but I like planning...I know there are lots of ways to rust steel...but like you said the pitting and over-rusting can easily be done...I've done the vinegar on my traps...I know otncreats rust instantly but it's a surface rust and I'm not sure it would be effective for what I'm looking to do...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 AM
The Man

I re browned a barrel with Laurel mountain forge browning solution. It wasn't difficult or really labor intensive.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page