White lightnin liner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

White lightnin liner

Are the white lightnin liners worth the cost and effort??

The touch hole line in my green mountain barrel seems awful deep..the Allen key hole is deep is what I mean...it'll keep the charge far away from the pan..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: White lightnin liner

If your thread is 1/4"x28, Track has one, and is their knockoff of a WL liner. Torque it down, and then cut the lug and file flush with barrel flat. It will save the headache of retapping to 5/16" for a WL liner.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../960/1/THL-S4W

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will add to count the hole threads, and file back the liner to have the same count. And order an extra one. For 3.99 a backup is cost effective!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Are the white lightnin liners worth the cost and effort??
YES.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanx!!

No idea what threads the green mountain has...but can remove it and see how it compares to the TC ones I have..

The only disappointment of the green mountain was that liner..came with a nice ramrod..Williams fiber optic sights...but that liner...the powder will sit a fair distance farther than even the Allen key TC liners...seems like a poor design to me...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

http://rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/84

Try here, Vg to deal with lots of parts.

Good Luck, Stan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You can't go wrong with WL liner. If you are installing on a rifle that already has a liner, check the threads as the WL has a rather unique thread pitch, as someone else mentioned.

Also, this part is critical. Once the WL is installed and filed flush, you cannot adjust it as there is no screw driver slot. It must be tightened properly when installed and you only get one shot once it is cut and filed. The key to making it fit properly is the countersink bevel that you must put on the hole before the linger is screwed in. The bevel forms the bearing surface that the tapered outter edge of the WL liner will snug up tight against. If you don't make this bevel deep enough, there won't be enough bearing surface and the threads may strip when you tighten it, and it may not file flush. But if you make this bevel too deep, the liner will screw in too far and again will not be flush. It sounds daunting but its not hard. I just installed one for the first time a few weeks ago and I got it perfectly without a whole lot of effort. The key is to countersink the bevel very gradually, screw in the liner to check, then repeat.

I believe Track of the Wolf has instructions available, and you can also contact Jim Chambers directly. I called JC and talked to Barbie about a question or too, and she was very helpful.

Use vice grips to tighten the liner very snug. I tightened mine just until the jaws of the vice grip started to slip. I don't know if it's possible to apply enough torque with the vice grips to strip the threads if the bevel is done correctly, so you might want to be mindful of that. On the other hand, that's a good question for Jim Chambers.

Lastly, when you file the liner flush, there is a good chance you will scrape the finish on the barrel. They say it can be filed down without affecting the finish, but that probably requires a lot more experience with the file than most of us have. I installed mine on an unfinished barrel, and did my draw filing, sanding, and cold bluing after the liner was in. If you are planning to refinish the barrel, then of course this doesn't apply.

This sounds like a lot of effort, but it is well worth it. Everyone I know who used WL liners swears by them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanx flint lock!

Rifle is still in the works...I will likely install a white lightnin liner in it and the TC before fall..figure if I'm buying the tools I may as well do both barrels..

I am used to the Allen key replacements for the TCs..they work fine for me...the one in the green mountain barrel is the same design but the Allen head is deeper..which puts the powder even farther away...

The screw driver slots kept it closer but those things are a bugger to remove if you don't remove it regularly... I try to make it a practice to remove my liner every time i clean just to make sure it doesn't get stuck in badly and clean the inside of it..

Soon as turkey season ends I will finish up the rifle...will work on it when I can through may..might make some progress... Getting closer...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I used anti-seize compound on the threads of mine. That liner will probably never need to be removed in the life of the rifle, but just in case I ever need to get it out, I thought the anti-seize might help. Who knows.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Part of the Community

I have one installed in a 30 year old flinter, and ZERO problems with thousands of rounds, and I mean thousands...
I have built two others and have the same success, still working on the thousands though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page