Inletting tools - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Inletting tools

So I have a pectonia river pret-inletted stock...

I knew it's need some work...but figured it'd be minor...

Long story short...I need to inlet it the rest of the way....everything is a hair too small...lock mortise needs a fair amount of wood removed..

I have no idea what tools I ACTUALLY will need/use....

I can almost bet this isn't my last...so I don't mind buying tools I need/will use...

Any recommendations??? Don't even know where to start....and don't know of local places to shop so "one stop" online will be the likely route of possible...

I don't need to do anything drastic...the shape and such is there...though I might attempt to make it a little different if I get comfortable enough...

Basically everything needs opened slightly...the lock mortise needs a good bit of wood removed...the wedge pin hole isn't there at ALL which is bothersome...but shouldn't bee too hard because the wedge pin plates are fully inletted...

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:28 AM

Re: Inletting tools

Since this is your first rifle, the first thing to do is call down to Dixon's muzzleloading in Kempton, Pa. and order a copy of their book on building a flintlock rifle.

I used a set of wood chisels I got from Harbor Freight there are 6 of them in a small box with different shaped ends and they are about 6-8 inches long handle included. I think they cost about $15.00. They worked for me. Good luck with your rifle build.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:54 AM

'Dremel' type tool I think would help,

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

I'm actually glad my Dremel is broken lol...I'm sure there are guys that are very handy with them....

I've never been happy when I touched wood with mine...even when I tried to go easy and take my time...poof...way too much gone..
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Part of the Community

Get some inletting black & some small files. Look at Track of the Wolf and other suppliers online. Dixon`s book is a must.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 PM

Also Dixon's book. A really good set of fine carving tools. Although, some exacto tools will suffice for alot of work. A few rifflers too.

Stay a few miles away from the dremel tools and any power tools, for that matter. (Although I have used a dremel with drum sander to open up a tight lock mortise on a production gun.)

As I teen I was given a high quality wood carving set from Switzerland. Just carbon steel, but easy to sharpen and a pleasure to use. Don't get the big tools used for carving cigar store Indians etc. ( The type used with mallets) Little hand push tools will do just fine.

Lee Valley/Veritas, Wood craft and some others sell some good quality sets. Harbor freight stuff has improved greatly over the past two decades. I just have not looked at their carving sets in person. Carving sets are like knives. Some look good but won't hold an edge. Some are good for some purposes and not others.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM

The set I had, was very similar to these.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/413441/...model-1293.aspx
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Not to point you in the wrong direction, but the only way I'd use something like a Dremel would be to use a flexible attachment and a variable speed foot switch.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanx guys!

I used the Dremel on my Hawken stock...as gingerly as possible...ended up with entirely too much wood gone way too quickly!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

look up lee valley tools and get yourself a good chisel set or four....I bought 4 different sets that gave me every size and shape chisel, gouge or what ever I need....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page