Day 11 Flintlock Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Day 11 Flintlock Season

Didnt get out today busy since early morning helping out my best friend Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 PM
The Man

Re: Day 11 Flintlock Season

Snuck on a buck and some does but couldn,t see the rack good enough.Probably would have clobbered a doe if I wasn,t fixed on the buck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Saw 4 non legal buck and about 8 to 10 doe tonight. Still waiting on the big one I been chasing since October. I know he is still alive but im running out of time. What a beautiful afternoon in the woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I used my tag this evening but not the way I wanted. Saw a dozen or so does but was holding out for a buck. Just before dark I saw a deer having trouble walking. Saw that it was shot in the rear leg with bone sticking out. It was about 70 yds. out a little far for me but I was able drop it. Found that it was a year and half old shed horned buck. Not the way I wanted flinter to end but sometimes things work out for a reason.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:20 AM
The Man

You did the right thing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar
Found that it was a year and half old shed horned buck. Not the way I wanted flinter to end but sometimes things work out for a reason.
Yep. You did the right thing and there is nothing wrong with putting your tag and that buck. Congrats to you.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Part of the Community

Called off today since Friday and Saturday are gonna be wet.
Saw a fisher in the morning, no deer. Afternoon I sat in a favored spot where I used to sit with my son - have taken several off this spot. At 5:05 two came sneaking down about 80-90 yards. Shot the first one but didn't see it go. Used binoculars and saw the second just standing there wondering what happened. Reloaded and investigated, no sign of a hit but I really expected to find a piled up deer. I trailed about 80 yards but was afraid to push it hard and light was gone so I will look in the morning before I go to work. Tough to trail with no snow and no blood that I could see in the low light. These were the first deer I have seen since flint season began... Hate to end on a bad note!
Edit:
Searched for more than an hour this morning before work and could find no sign of a hit, blood or corpse anywhere. Traced my balls path and could not find a broken twig or any other damage... Must have been a clean miss.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 AM

Hunted daylight to dark today. It was still cold, 11 degrees, this morning and too noisy to still hunt through the frozen leaves. I was able to move around semi-quietly if I stayed on the logging and gas well roads. I saw a fair amount of sign in the way of tracks but never saw a deer. I am sure there were deer in the thick brushy areas that saw me and just stayed put or slipped away undetected. When I was on the way home, after dark, I saw one crossing the road at a spot where I have a blind back a ways off the road. It probably came right past the blind but it might have been after dark when it did. It seems that most of the tracks I am finding are being made at night and the deer just aren’t moving until dark.

Back at it tomorrow but I might not get out early tomorrow.

Good luck to those hunting tomorrow.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hunted in morning and saw nothng but two grouse.Did some scouting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page