Flintlock kit suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Flintlock kit suggestions

I am looking to build a flint lock from a kit and I need some help. I can do all the finish work but because of some physical disability problems I am not able to inlay a stock or bore/tap the touch hole. Does anyone know of a FL kit in which the stock 90% complete and the touch hole drilled and tapped?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Flintlock kit suggestions

I don't have a wealth of experience building from kits, but I have built a few from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, two from Track of the Wolf, and a fowler kit from Brad Emig at Cabin Creek. Being a lefty, these kits have needed the lock, side plate, trigger, trigger guard, butt plate, and ramrod pipes inletted. It seems to me from my limited experience that the lock and its pan determine the placement of the touch hole, but I suppose it could be done the other way around by having the lock inletted and touch hole drilled by the kit supplier. The proper alignment of breech plug face, touch hole, and pan must be as precise as possible for the rifle to fire effectively without hesitation.

I've not been disappointed when dealing with the folks at TVM, and I would suggest calling them with your concerns. The "kits" from Track of the Wolf have been complete, but are simply a collection of parts. Brad Emig is a fine gun builder, and always willing to offer help. I did have some issues with the inletting of the butt plate and trigger guard of my fowler kit.

The main issue with building a flintlock is never, never rush any step in the building process. You must take your time, and think your way through each stage of the task. I highly recommend Chuck Dixon's book on building a Pennsylvania longrifle, and a visit to Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop would provide an opportunity to look over an extensive collection of custom built rifles. And, a July visit to the Gunmakers Fair at Dixons will provide a special opportunity to see, first hand, the work of many of the country's finest gunmakers.

Enjoy the gun-making journey! It is a tedious, time-consuming, but thrilling process to experience the collection of parts becoming a completed long gun. Good luck with your build.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 PM
New Arrival

Start right now with getting the book "Gunsmiths of Grenville county " also check out a few of Hershal House DVD's . Research a ton . Then order one in the " Green " . Also , you may wish to order a pipe tomahawk kit from R.E. Davis , start small , make your mistakes on a cheaper project .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Jimsdad,

You want the wood, metal and brass fit and finished as far as done but without the makeup, like a Lyman or Traditions kit?

Or you want to do wood shaping and carving, inlet the ramrod pipes, trigger guard and buttplate, etc. just with barrel and lock already in it?

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

an online search will net you several makers that have guns in the "white", which means it is pretty much just finish work to complete them. the hard things are done. as already stated, TOTW "kits" are a box of parts, requiring 150-200 hours to complete. I have one on the bench now and its no walk in the park to complete. it is very enjoyable to build one that way and nice to know you did it yourself, but they are a lot of work. good luck with your project.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep BP, that was the reason for the questions. Tip Curtis comes to mind on an in the white rifle in many styles. Or Jim Kibler has a nice A-weight Mt. rifle kit he is taking orders for.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 PM

Cheapest thing around for a flintlock kit is from Deer Creek Products.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the very well thought out replies and i will try to respond to all of them in a single post. What I am looking for is a kit that I only have to do the finish work on - brown the steel after some filing and sanding, sand the wood and maybe do some minor fiting work, buff out the brass and smooth it where needed. So I guess a traditions or Lyman kit would be best. BUT - I did see a really nice kit from Track of the Wolf that may be what I am looking for, IF I can get someone to drill and tap the barrel for me, once I have the lock set in the stock. Anyhow, thanks so much guys for the great replies and the encouragement! I tried a kit with a swamped barrel several years ago form Jim Chambers just about the time my eyes were refusing to focus any closer than 2 feet and it was a train wreck.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Jimsdad,

Here are a couple of options for minor fitting and some woodwork. Then the finish on everything.

Dunlap Woodcraft Component Sets

Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 AM

If you have a machinist in your circle of friends, or at your club, drilling and tapping for the touch hole is a simple matter that a six pack of beer ought to cover.

Drilling and tapping a touch hole is really simple as machinist or gun smith jobs go. Don't sell yourself short on learning how to do it. I borrowed a machinist student text book and read up on proper methods and proper tools in a half hour or less. Having a drill press helps keep the hole and tap at the correct angle. Get Chuck Dixon's book on building long rifles. it is in simple comic book style and explains things with very good illustrations. Available from Dixon's Muzzle loader Shop, an hours drive from you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page