Different patches - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Different patches

I've been using pre-lubed patches for a while now, ox-yoke wonder lubed .015 patches. I wanted to try a lube that is a bit more "pliable" when the weather turns cold. I picked up some dry patches of the same thickness and used TOTW Trappers mink oil. Loading was easy and the groups were tight. I was happy with the results. Below is a pic of the spent patch. Looks like I'm engaging the rifling good. What has me confused is that the first couple I shot shredded the patch. Every one after though was good. Even tried some .018 ticking with no rips. A little tough to load though.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 PM

Re: Different patches

Any patch that seals the bore will generally do well. No need to load so tight that you bruise your Palm or mash the ball. I believe that the common belief that thick ticking is required is just wrong. I have used cotton flannel with fine bench precision.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
The Man

Patches don't look bad.Slight frayed edges are OK.Could lap the bore with 0000 steel wool,jag,and oil.This really smooths the bore up and won't hurt it but NO larger than 0000.
If you want to experiment you could try getting some pillow ticking.I found my Lyman's to like the blue striped (.018)TC's liked the green stripped(.015).The Red(.010)is TOO THIN and burns thru.
Lube you could try plain olive oil.Also
Stumpkiller's Moose Milk
8OZ Isopropyl Alcohol(91%)
3oz Caster Oil (I use Bear Oil)
1OZ Murphy's Oil Soap
4OZ Witch Hazel
16OZ Water (non-chlorinated)
Add in above order and shake well in a jar.You can cut your Pillow Ticking(Washed remove sizing) in 1 1/4"strips and dip in Milk.Lay on flat sheet to let water evaporate off.Then I dip a second time and lay flat to dry.Cut my patches 1 1/4" square for a 50 cal.I like the patch to cover top of ball to protect it a little when seating.Round patch or Square is no difference in accuracy!
I use one of those old long bladed paper cutters.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Part of the Community

You know your patch/lube combo is good when it looks like you could almost use the patch a second time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As long as your accuracy is good and the patch does not contain a burn-thru or badly shredded edges, you are good-to-go.

Personally, I like the prelubed bumblin' bear grease patches here below.
OctoberCountry prelubed patches

Or, you can buy the dry patches and lube them with mink oil.
Trackofthewolf mink oil

If you are either poor or count every dime you have, go grab some of the wife's virgin olive oil and apply it thin. It works darn good for roundball patches.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:04 AM

Use the thinnest patch and the largest ball you can for a snug fit. Try a lubed bore button over the powder. The frayed edges are fine and is caused by the patch opening as it exits the barrel. Burn thru is bad and you need to adjust patch thickness up or try to protect it with the bore button.

Track's trapper mink oil is great lube. The thinner patch and close to bore size ball upsets into the grooves better than a smaller ball and thicker patch. You still need to test out the loads though. Over charging is the main cause to not getting the tightest groups. My GM barrel will handle 100 grains of 3f and shoot extremely tight groups but my TC even with it's 1/66 twist shoots best with 70 grains.

The left patch may have a little bit of patch break down at about 11 o'clock and the lands look like they are compressing the fabric pretty good but not excessive. The patch looks to be filling the grooves well too.

The right patch looks a little better; not sure if it's the same load or not. I would still try a bore button on your current loading just to see if it helps tighten it some more.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A bore button / wonderwad substitute may be in your wife's kitchen pantry. If you canot find those wads at a nearby hunting store, use 30 grains of the wife's yellow cornmeal instead. Use the same volume measurer as you would with your powder. Only difference is I keep a 2nd powder flask around, that's full of yellow cornmeal.

When hunting, I take along the usual extra premeasured loads of powder in tubes (mine are 70gr. of FFF blackpowder). But I also carry a couple extra tubes that only contain 30 grains of yellow cornmeal each.

The bore button/wads outlined in the post above are less hassle. You should be able to find them online pretty easy. You want the same size as your bore....... not those thin ones intended for pistols -- not the 12 gauge ones intended for shotguns. You want 50-cal bore buttons/wads.

Here's an example:
(link) Wonder Wads

(link) Wifes' Yellow Cornmeal
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IMO, if you stick with the basics, patch lube and amount, thickness and material and ball size, you will find the right combo for your gun without fussing with any of the "extras". the only thing I would change if you are using olive oil or mink oil, is to heat it and mix in some bee's wax to help solidify it, so it is easier to carry, rather than having a liquid. I mix mine at 5 parts virgin olive oil to 1 part of bee's wax. the next batch I may try 4 to 1. with that mix my first shot is as good as my 10th (or more) shot, with no swabbing and no fuss and they load easy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna stick with what I'm using now as accuracy is good, but will try other options down the road. Good hunting to all. Thanks, Mike.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page