Patch lube - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Patch lube

Does anyone know what the ratio of lard and beeswax is to make patch lube and if it can be used for conical bullets .I heard about it and would like to know if anyone uses it and how to mix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 PM
The Man

Re: Patch lube

I'll see if I can find it.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM
The Man

Here's one
2 oz. bees wax
8 oz. castor oil
1 oz. murphy's soap
Another
Two parts bees-wax.
One part lard.
One part Murphys (full strengh).

Works in all temperatures.

More
7 parts beeswax, 2.5 parts Crisco and .5 part lanolin, with just a touch of citronella candle 'cause I like the smell.

And another
50/50 mix of bees wax and rendered deer tallow, works in hot or cold, the fouling will wipe out with a dry flannel patch and leaves the muzzle wet and greasy. Won't melt out in 100 degree weather.

Last one
50/50 beeswax & lard

As I was reading through these I noticed that there isn't really one dried and cut recipe and folks try all different kinds of things. So experiment, start with 50-50 and see if it works for you. Some said to use lard with no salt and one thing is when it gets warmer you cut down on the beeswax because it melts.
These were all taken from forums so do some checking yourself you may something you like better.
Oh and it can also be used on conicals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Dont know about the ratio, but recently tried Shenandoah valley now (Mr. Muzzleloader) lube and it is AWESOME!!!!!! shot 16 shot with no cleaning and could have kept shooting, but the woods walk was over. GREAT STUFF!!!!!
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use a 5 to 1 ratio of olive oil and beeswax. no cleaning between shots here either. easy cleanup too.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster80
Dont know about the ratio, but recently tried Shenandoah valley now (Mr. Muzzleloader) lube and it is AWESOME!!!!!! shot 16 shot with no cleaning and could have kept shooting, but the woods walk was over. GREAT STUFF!!!!!
I never heard of Mr. Muzzleloader Lube.
I have heard of Mr. Flintlock's Patch Lube and Bore Cleaner
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mr. flintlock, thats what I was talking about, sorry for the typo.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 01:34 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Hoppes 9+ was suggested to me, and it was a great tip. I've used it at the range and every shot loads like the one prior. It's not greasy/messy to lube patches as you use them at the range, either.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just made an experimental batch with stuff laying around the house.

Bore Butter Lube
Cabelas Lube
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Crisco
Coconut Oil

Melted it all down to a watery substance, mixed throughly and let dry for a day. Now it's semi-hard and much easier to apply to 58-cal shooting patches, than the ball of rock bore butter I started with yesterday.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:31 AM

I saw a reference to George Sutton's "Mr. Flintlock's Patch and Bore Lube" and thought I'd add a response. On another site, I responded that I used Lehigh Valley Lube until I ran out and couldn't find it anymore. I thought George Sutton was making the lube under a different name until a gentleman by the name of Thomas DeClare added a most interesting post that I think most shooters will find informative.

First Post: "Just to clear the air..My name is Thomas DeCare and I'm the one listed on the Patent. I'm also the original producer of Lehigh Valley Lube. I've never met George Sutton, I live in NY not Maine. My children are old enough now to do all of the bottling packaging and shipping while I tend to just formulating the Original LVL with my strict Quality Control. It will be available by next month. "George Sutton" is telling a tale that he met me I believe to attach his product as mine? if you talk to him for consistency reasons ask if he mixes it by weight or volume. we use weight for consistency, and whatever he is putting in a measuring cup my have lots of other chemicals that are not needed. My tests of his lube proves this. He is mixing it from chemicals in the store which proves my point. Lehigh, if you read the patent, only has 4. His rendition has over 40 different chemicals along with sodium EDTA, so buyer beware. My lube is proprietary to Lestom Laboratories, Inc. along with my other intellectual property. We at Lestom also debunked "Shenandoah Valley Lube." He uses my label because he thought the artwork belonged to Ox-Yoke. But it belongs to Lestom. No matter if he even trademarks it we are the "1st to use" and he has the Ox Yoke formula that they produced and could never get right. I realize the confusion but when you see "Lehigh Valley Lube", on the back will be Lestom Laboratories, Inc."
Lestom Labs, Inc.

Second Post: It's the same formulation I've made since 1995. It will be available in April of this year. I have the raw chemicals coming in this week an easy test would be to weigh the lube(s) on a scale because more weight is all of the unnecessary chemicals that are in his lubricant, also you can tell by just the smell. But because of some of the other chemicals that he's mixing isn't exactly good for steel in his formula, I've even read complaints of rust spots due to surface tension that prevents it from spreading completely. Also, a side by side comparison would take you about 3 years to determine that the chemical he's making could do harm especially sodium EDTA and other potassium chlorides from the under the sink mixture he is making. Lestom uses the raw materials bought under strict quality control, as well as my strict Q.C. before it goes to the consumer. We've used this formula since 1995 for 20 years and Ft Ontario, NY I've donated to preserve there muzzleloaders and have got reviews back from the curator that "It has even helped restore the muzzloaders by eliminating light rust. Ft Chambers, in PA has taken an order, Muzzleloaders builders supply, in Aberdeen Idaho, and Dixon, Muzzleloading shop in Kempton, PA and we will be at the gunbuilders Faire at Dixons on July 24, 25 26. The above gunshops have all taken Pre-orders and will be receiving it in April. You may want to contact these vendors and pre-order as we are batching it 1st for 100 Gallons to be sold for our starting production and then 2500 gallons thereafter. That should take care of the first wave of the demand for now. "Thank You for Your Support"
Lestom Labs, Inc.

Third Post: After the war(s) it was hard to run a whole business, manufacturing shipping, receiving, accounting IRS with sales tax with the PTSD. My children are grown now 25 & 26 my daughter married. So they want to do all of the shipping billing and distribution while I produce the lube. I have the raw chemicals coming in this week we will keep the same label it will read Lehigh Valley with the "Original Formula" Banner across the top an and Lestom Laboratories, Inc. on the back of the label along with the disabled Veteran owned. An 8oz. sprayer cap bottle that the sprayer even sprays upside down! We have had lots of letters to the corp. as to the many uses it has from camera shutters that stick to bike chains and paint ball guns. The above comment about a one gallon jug was part of the "Lehigh Valley Lube Challenge" where I put out prizes for people with the "best use" the prizes were $150. to the best down to a one gallon jug. The Jug had the Lehigh Valley Lube Label by Lestom Labs and it was a clear ring jug (moonshine jug) for my southern friends. LOL. The rumor about anyone approaching me about buying or even me giving away the formula is not true. I've never been to Maine or met Mr. Sutton. But I have analyzed his formula and can assure you it is NOT my formula. I have the credentials and I've been producing it since 1995 with not a complaint. Don't try an imitation that has a short story for production. Besides it is patented and the patent has expired so anyone can produce it. Anyone could buy the raw materials but it has to be weighed as a formula to be consistent not measured by cup or gallon for the ingredients and percentages from the patent but for consistency. But the process of the preparation of the raw chemicals NEVER shows up in the patent for that is Lestom's "Trade Secret" and that's what protects it's duplication.
Now...with some of the additives that are in Mr. Suttons "under the sink formula" may get results like the original formula but there also many ingredients inside those ingredients that aren't necessarily good for steel. This would probably take you about 3 yrs. before the problem shows up. Lestom Laboratories has produced for Ft. Ontario, NY for the preservation and restoration of their guns at the Fort muzzleloaders and I've also donated bottles for when the reenactors came in like the war of 1812 coming there soon. So I've never been "out of production - just distribution". But I'm back and Thank God for my children and for all of your support. Jim Chambers from Fort Chambers Gun Shop in PA, Muzzleloaders Builders supply in Idaho and Dixon's Muzzle loading shop have pre-ordered for the release in April. You may want to contact those shops to ask if they pre-order so they can have an idea on how much to order. We will do the first batch at 100 gallons. My children are updating packaging equipment and bottle fillers so at first it may be slow. We will again be at the Dixon Gun builders Faire at the table right next to the gun shop near the road with demo's for the newbies and plenty of supply for Dixon's to fill your orders July 24, 25 & 26 2015 See you all there thank you for your continued support. God bless all!
Tom DeCare
Lestom Laboratories, Inc.

It sounds as if Lehigh Valley Lube will soon be available and as a previous user, I can attest to this product being the finest lube I've used in my 41 years of muzzleloading.

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page