TVM flintlocks? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

TVM flintlocks?

Anyone shoot a TVM flintlock??

Seems one may "fill the gap" for a while and get me a good flintlock at a decent price to "hold me over" till I decide what to have built..and save the money to have it built...

Just don't wanna flush a grand or so down the drain on one to find out its no better than my TC...

Still not set on buying one...but if they are leaps and bounds better than my TC I might buy one to hold me over a while..a grand is cheaper than 2-3-4 grand for a full blown custom built FOR me...

Looking for reviews if anyone has one...I think a few of you guys do have them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:51 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: TVM flintlocks?

I looked at them pretty hard for a bit. I'll tell you what my wife (yes, my wife....I'm pretty sure she now regrets this!)told me when I was at the same point you are:

I was looking for a Lyman GPR, and told her I'd some day like a long rifle. She asked why I'd buy something knowing I'd replace it later (Good Point #1). I explained the costs of a GPR vs the cost of something from TVM vs a custom rifle. She said, "But you have your brother's rifle, so you have one you can hunt with, right?" (Good Point #2).

Yes, I agreed, I did have something I could hunt with. So she thinks for a minute and says, "I think you should just figure out what you really want and get it, and then you won't have to replace it later. Just seems like a (her words here) waste of time and money to get something that's temporary." (Good Point #3).

I have never held nor fired a TVM rifle, although I know there are folks on here who have. I just figured I'd share where I was on this same issue.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Haha see I think exactly like her...

But I'm at that point in life that I should spend that kind of money "on better things" aka student loans and buy a house...lol.

I can squirrel away the money for a TVM easier than a full build..

I know I will end up with full blown built for me customs...I know I will end up with more than one...I want a fowler or smooth bore to smoke turkeys with too lol...

I do have a gun to hunt with...and can spend 200$ on a lock and trigger and it'll serve me well...that's probably the wise way to go and save the money for the build..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that there is time involved in a build. Most builders aren't looking for work to do right now, they're looking for work to add on their list to do in the future. Point being, you have some time to flesh out the full cost of the build before it's done/due.

I sure don't mean to take anything away from a TVM rifle, as I have read lots of good stuff about them, but when you start talking about using one as a "stop gap," to me it sounds like money that could have helped buy the custom built gun instead.

Honestly, others may feel differently, but I'd as soon buy the fowler from TVM and get the rifle custom built, but that's just me (who has never owned a fowler, lol). Also, you could potentially use a fowler with a ball to hunt deer in the interim. Matt/PA had a nice fowler/smooth rifle for sale recently.....
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Isn't that what Leather shoots in his last couples videos he has posted on here? He might be one to check with...

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your question of leaps and bounds better than a TC... depends what you are looking for. Locks are faster and more reliable. Triggers are much better, both guns are right at 1 lb. set, 4 lbs. unset. Very crisp either way. And the unset is still better than any factory gun I have shot, even TCs and Pedersoli's. And both have been transition guns until I decided what I really wanted. First is Early Lancaster style, second is Early Va. And I am glad I went that route. Not knowing what style you want, you really need to handle, and possibly shoot before you decide. After shooting them, I won't have another factory gun.

I have not purchased one new from Matt Avance (TVM), however I had one and currently have one. I got this one first, used, had a few nicks and scratches in the browning, and too light complected, so I had a local builder resurface it. It's a .54 cal. 30" Colerain barrel, L&R Classic lock, Davis triggers. It shot well, and was a nice handling gun. But it was kind of short for my taste. I wanted a longrifle, so I parted with it when the next one came along.

Next One to come along is also a .54 cal., 42" Long Hammock octagon to round barrel, L&R Classic lock, Davis triggers, and for me it shoots better because of the longer sight picture, plus not muzzle heavy at all, and balances quite well. The triggers are so nice on this one, with the Jaeger style set trigger, I am having the same put on a recently ordered J.P. Beck from a local builder. Not sure if that is HC/PC, but will be for me! I say nice because I use my ring finger for the set, which keeps the index finger at the front trigger. If a quick shot, You are not spending time moving your finger from one to the other. However, this one will probably go also. Not because it is a bad gun, but because it will not get shot when the Beck comes in. And I don't keep guns that won't get shot. And just to add a $$ comment, neither broke the 4 figure price point. Both are plainer maple, no carving or PB, so price was not crazy. Got the midget from Ft. Chambers, got the longrifle off of ALR's classifieds from a gent in Bedford, who met me at the Fort.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM

I have a TVM Iron Pennsylvania Rifle that I purchased used.
45 cal.
Colerain barrel 1:56 twist
Large Siler lock.
This rifle is a tack driver, the ignition on this flintlock is as fast as my percussion rifle. this is the second chambers Siler lock I have owned (I have one on my Tennessee flintlock rifle) and both have been Excellent locks.
I would show some Pics, but I can't get photobucket to even come up on my computer anymore.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM

For a hunting gun if you have a crisp 3lbish single trigger why do you need a set trigger? Just something to fat finger with gloves on to me....A tvm is not hc/pc, and how can you know your gonna get something that fits you from Mississippi without going to handle them? Don't buy before you can test it out...

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Part of the Community

I have an iron pa. rifle in .36 cal. I`ve used it for several years and think it`s great. A very good rifle for the price.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 AM

Guess I'm just a poor cube grinder with my new to me Traditions flintier that kills em just as dead as $2000-4000 rifles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page