Think I know what killed the TC Hawken - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Think I know what killed the TC Hawken

First, the TC Hawken doesn't fire the fancy new bullets with sabots that have come out for inline muzzleloaders. Newbies like new bullets. They like using sabots. Why using round balls with a cloth patch isn't new enough.

But I think a good reason for slowed sales is that legalese 50 page manual, that explains how to use the muzzleloader. Haven't looked at it in years.

I got exasperated looking at it. And I've been shooting the rifle for over 30 years. A newbie without help in using the rifle was looking for a headache. A 50 page manual is bad enough. The legalese is tiring.
I'm glad I had a mentor who was experienced in using TC products. He made learning it very easy. Much easier than learning from their manual.

It's a great rifle to use. The manual was never great.
And once the turning point was reached where newbies had to learn from the manual, rather than from a user, the downturn of rifle was inevitable. Great rifle maker; not so great at making an inviting manual. And yes, it was inevitable that newbies would want to use fancy new bullets in an old flintlock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:43 PM
The Man

Re: Think I know what killed the TC Hawken

I shot my first Flinter deer with a TC Renegade in 54 cal. Never looked at a manual it was a borrowed rifle they showed me how to use it and shot it several times beforehand. They also told me how to be safe with it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:03 PM
The Man

Not sure that in this day & age, the manual would be a real sticking point. There are probably 1000 (didn't look......just guessing) simple tutorial on YouTube explaining EVERY aspect of making a flinter go off then cleaning it up.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:05 PM
The Man

I think the introduction and legalization of the inline for "muzzleloader" hunting in most or many states probably had WAY more to do with killing back ALL models of sidelock guns.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree. The introduction of the inline caught the eye of those more interested in harvesting a deer than holding on to the historical significance of flintlocks here in Pennsylvania.

Thank goodness for those Pennsylvania "pioneers" of the 1970's who asked the Game Commission to provide a season for Keystone hunters to enjoy reenacting a couple of weeks of deer hunting as colonial Pennsylvanians once did with their flintlocks.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter
I agree. The introduction of the inline caught the eye of those more interested in harvesting a deer than holding on to the historical significance of flintlocks here in Pennsylvania.

Thank goodness for those Pennsylvania "pioneers" of the 1970's who asked the Game Commission to provide a season for Keystone hunters to enjoy reenacting a couple of weeks of deer hunting as colonial Pennsylvanians once did with their flintlocks.
In the early days of the modern awareness, the half stock was king. The movies of the day were the inspiration. Most early rondys then had more of a western theme to them. Since, awareness has evolved into more local or geographical history. So even within the hard core flintlock enthusiasts, the half stock market base in the east, isn't what it used to be.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:22 PM
The Man

My T/C Hawken shoots sabots quite well. All depends on what twist barrel you have

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Part of the Community

I think that TC hasn't developed anything new to their Historical line of guns in 30 years!!!
Although movies over the past two decades has contributed to sales, we've all seen a high and lows of shooters attending shoots.
Seems like most newbies start towards the Fur trade or Mountain man persona.. then after a year or so lean towards the Colonial Era and guns...
Back 30 years ago the most cost prohibative guns were TC and they made a very good kit gun.
Now with all the Parts-Suppliers of Kit guns with GOOD locks and 90% inlet parts, Good curl maple stocks and Prices Fairly for the novice, a huge chunk of sales has been taken from TC manufacturing.

Chartiers valley#725 F&AM
NMLRA,HCH,CLA,
Forest Grove Sportsmen
Sewickley S & F Club
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I purchased my first TC Hawken at an auction in Boyertown for $125.00 back in the late 70's. The frizzen looked like it had been struck maybe 3 or 4 times.

That half stock Hawken, right-handed of course, helped me develop one of Berks County's most outstanding cases of the flintlock flinches. As a lefty, I figured I needed to find the means to have a flintlock with the lock on the left side or give up any desire to continue to participate in Pennsylvania's new flintlock season.

I hated to part with that TC Hawken, but I knew some righty could use it more effectively, and I used the funds from that sale to make a down payment on a used, left-handed, Brad Emig "Yorktown" rifle, and the rest is history as they say. Mrs. "Berks" just shakes her head when I add another long gun which I've determined I need for some important reason.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter
Mrs. "Berks" just shakes her head when I add another long gun which I've determined I need for some important reason.
"Reason" and/or "need" have NO place in determining gun purchases.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page