custom flinter cleaning? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

custom flinter cleaning?

so...i am still pondering putting together a flinter...

i am used to my TC Hawken...y'all know how the barrels are held in with a wedge..

seems the custom guns the barrels are different...

and seems like the touch holes are pretty much in place for good?

how do the barrels come off?

how do you clean them??

i might be confused...i figured i better ask now..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 AM

Re: custom flinter cleaning?

Barrels are mainly held by pins, sometimes keys, just like your lymans, tc's etc....and a tang bolt, which goes to the trigger plate. Use an 1/8 punch or whatever size you need. Sometimes 3 or 4 will hold them, seen 5 once. I don't take the barrel out to clean, I put a toothpick in touch hole wether a liner or just a drilled vent. Put some tepid water in, let it set and slosh it with thumb over barrel. Dump and repeat several times. Than I run patch down to clean and absorb water. I use ballistol and run till clean. First swab I load up with cleaner and blow toothpick out, aim it wisely its like a geyser. I don't remove the barrel unless I hunted pouring rain or end of season.....course remome lock and clean always...i coat bottom and lower sides of barrel with thin coat of rig, to prevent rust until next time....i probably missed a ton but ask away..

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:52 AM

Yep, what bruin said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 AM

My long rifle has pins. finishing nail or punch takes them out. Hawkins a wedge

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 AM

My long rifle has pins. finishing nail or punch takes them out. Hawkins a wedge

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanx guys... That's what I thought...most everything I was seeing has pinned barrels...

Right now with my TC I punch out the wedge and put the barrel in the wash tub...

How do you make sure the chamber is cleaned good without pumping water through?? Or are the chambers bore sized unlike patent breeches on TCs?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
How do you make sure the chamber is cleaned good without pumping water through?? Or are the chambers bore sized unlike patent breeches on TCs?
Mine don't have chambered breeches. The breech face is at or just behind the vent liner, and squared to the bore.

As to cleaning with the non-removable vent liners, I use one of these. Flush Kit

Start with a wet patched jag all the way in the bore. Put the clamp on and drop hose in a bucket or pail of water with a little Dawn.

Two or three slow pumps of the RR will blow out most of whats in it. Change to just water, and do again. Take hose out of water, and push RR all the way in to blow out water. Replace with dry patch, and blow out water again.

Dry patches until dry coming out. Then WD40 to get any water remnants. Then barricade or a light coat of gun oil and swab the bore. Wipe down and put away. Just be careful with amount of rust preventative in storage. Too much can seep to the wood and mess up the finish.

For removable vent liners, buy the hose nipple and hose to fit. Do the same thing as above.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanx a lot!!!

Sounds doable...that was my worry...getting a $200+ piece of wood wet...

More than one way to skin a buck...

Still not sure what direction I wanna go with the rifle...I know what I want...just not sure the best way to get there without going broke..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I still take mine apart to clean, but I'm probably going to get a flush kit soon. It's a clamp and tubing set up that lets you seal off a surgical tube to the vent hole...it lets you plunge water in/out as with a "bucket cleaning", but you can leave the barrel in the stock.

What scares the bejeebers out of me with disassembly is that long rifle stocks do not have a lot of "meat" in them...look at originals and see how many are cracked between the ramrod entry hole and the muzzle (the stock). It's somewhat common.

I do not want that happening on my rifle.

So....that's probably what I'll do, although I figured I'd give BlackBruin's method a shot, too.

And you can't leave us hangin' like that! Whatcha got planned???
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

X 3 what Black Bruin said. To make sure the breech face is clean i run a strip of material wraped around a patch worm down the bore and twist aginst the breech face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page