Anybody own a Lyman Great Plains Hunter? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Anybody own a Lyman Great Plains Hunter?

Just curious if anyone own one of these and how much they liked it? The 1-32" twist rate has me interested to shoot conical/ sabots like out of my inline.
Also anyone have the #57 perp sight? I don't really like the fiber sights on my Tc. They cover way too much target and hard for me to get it lined up quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 AM

Re: Anybody own a Lyman Great Plains Hunter?

have had a few over the counter flint locks..now I have great plains hunter...54cal..I like it way better than the Thompson centers I had will shoot a round ball just fine also
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:10 AM
New Arrival

I hav .50 GPR hunter n like it very much.i shoot Hornady FPB 350 grs over 90 grs Swiss n hav shot 3" groups at 100 yds which for me is great with open sights n my 54 yr old eyes. I also hav the 57 peep n like that also. I had the globe front sight that goes with it n that helps to aim precisely ......when there is enuff daylight. I lost easy the last 1/2 hr of hunting time because not being able to c thru that sight so this year I swapped the globe for a fiber optic front sight n kept peep in the rear and like that MUCH better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Part of the Community

I too have the GPR in 54 Cal. In my opinion one of the best production muzzleloaders you can buy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The only time I really have problem with the fiber optic on the TC is 100 yards. It does cover a good bit of deer or 6" bullseye. When we sight in we have the bullseye sit right on top of the sight (which I believe is the way you are supposed to align open sights) but instead of having it go 3" higher into the bull we try to get it to hit exactly on the bottom of the bull where we are aiming. It has worked pretty well all these years.
I am trying to build a GPR and seen there are some other sight options. I don't think I really can't use the factory sights that came with it with my eyes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys! Looks like they do have a remove able breech plus right and iron sights? Is it easy to add fiber optic sights to it or do you have to tap the barrel to add. Also any recommendations to buy one here in western PA.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Try Cooperstown Trading Post
Call before you go. He has irregular hours and may be out with the rest of us.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipNrip
Thanks guys! Looks like they do have a remove able breech plus right and iron sights? Is it easy to add fiber optic sights to it or do you have to tap the barrel to add. Also any recommendations to buy one here in western PA.
No removable breech plug and you can add FO sights without any mods. Peeps can be added as well without drilling. As far as buying one in PA...There were a couple on the rack at Juniata Trading post on RT 30 near bedford. I just recall the price was less than what I have been seeing here in western pa. Maybe give them a call. You cant go wrong with that gun. I have 2 of them and love'em equally! Good Luck!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Looks like they do have a remove able breech plus right and iron sights? Is it easy to add fiber optic sights to it or do you have to tap the barrel to add.
Yes a removable breech but in a somewhat similar way that a barrel is removable from a bolt action. Very hard, right tools needed to not cosmetically damage it, only done for some special reason. When they set-up they don't come off easy at all, a lot of heat helps.

Don't understand why the fiber optic question because in your original post you said you don't like them. Yes you can put on most anything you want, fiber, blade, round, globe. Just a dovetail mount. I don't like the fiber optic and have a blade on mine, don't remember if that is what came on it, may be wrong but seems I put it on in place of whatever was originally there. I've had the gph 11 years.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
...anyone own one of these and how much they liked it? ...anyone have the #57 perp sight?
Yes to both the above since 2004. Don't know if Jester still hangs out on here but he has the same setup. I'm strictly a hunter and want function over form so not into the period aesthetics of it, tend to do things my own way. When I got it I didn't like the curved steel butt plate so I cut it off and put on a rubber pad. The original buttplate came up over the top of the stock so I inlaid some Australian lacewood there. Required a complete refinish and surprised I found a beautiful stock under the original really dark finish.

Put on the peep sight for the eyes and got the added bonus of a longer sight radius. The only thing I would say was bad with the gun was the trigger pull. It was a little heavy but worse it had huge creep with gritty stops. If you just wanted to jerk the trigger then fine but otherwise it was unbearable. I ground down the sear and polished the engagement. Now no creep and a smooth break at 2 lb, no different than the Jewell trigger on my 700.

The 1:32 is very accurate and yes good for conicals. I tried but didn't like the sabots, they were really hard to load and I don't want to have to think about plastic fouling, they grouped ok but not as good as the easier loading non-fouling powerbelts. Tried a number of full bore conicals, great plains, buffalo, fpb, precision rifle, again they all shot ok but not better than and none loaded as smoothly as the powerbelt.

Normal groups below with powerbelts, about 1”@50yds and about 2½”@100. It's a good 150yd gun and get about 6” groups @150. The 295, 300, 338, and 348 powerbelts all shoot within an inch of each other so for any of them I don't change the sights. With 90gr 777 all are in the 1600-1650fps range. Sights stay set for 2” high at 100, is 3 high at 75 and 3 low at 150. On big game no correction needed from 0 to 150.

50 yds

100yds

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page