day 2...12/27/14 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

day 2...12/27/14

No post for today??

Our alarms started going off at 0615...mine went off at 0630... I hoped outta bed and got dressed and headed out..

Started coughing up my lungs at 815 so started sneaking toward another spot of mine..didn't go 50yds and 2 took off..

Got to my other spot and 1 snorted..then I saw at least 3 over 100yds on the 2nd bench below me...too far for my liking..

Not real long after I caught a large group of at least 6-8 crossing behind me..too thick to shoot or see well..

A bit later...1000 o'clock or so another big group of 8+ came right to me...the first couple were getting leery..they hit my wind..a big doe was coming right for me..I slid the rifle that way and put the bead on her front right shoulder and touched it off..

She ran 65yds or so and I lost sight as she dropped down the hillside...I thought she looked lime she was going down...

Gave her 10 minutes and snuck to the shot..white hair EVERYWHERE.. Belly hair...I knew she took a step as I squeezed the trigger but she was angling hard at me..I was in a stand 20ft high..no way I hit the belly..

Not a drop of blood anywhere...I was confident I drilled her...I followed what I thought were her tracks..got to where I last saw her and found blood..good lung blood....15yds down the hillside she was piled up!

The Ball-et went in just behind the front right shoulder and exited dead center of her stomach right about where a buck would have an extra part..it then smashed her back left leg right at the joint...

Great penetration...shot was higher on the chest due to the shot angle..and no blood from the exit..gut exits usually don't bleed much if at all typically...stomach wasn't hit that I could tell...cavity was just full of blood...

Back out looking for a buck now...2 buddies just missed doe on a small push...on another push now..I'd love to hang a buck next to her today!!!

Good luck all! Be safe...have fun...and shoot straight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: day 2...12/27/14

Good luck to everybody. Probably not going to get out today but I will be out all next week doing pushes and sitting on food sources. Today is just too warm for me to hunt with the flintlock. Good luck.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

It is a bit warm...doesn't feel "right"... But I'm not gunna lie...its comfy not having to be layered up and still be cold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the doe mauser!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

0815 4 walked out of the pines. They stopped at the click of the hammer. #3 was larger, but she didnt give me a shot. This one was broadside at 58 yards. Double lunged and she ran downhill about a hundred yards.
535 ball with .018 patch over 70gr2f, 4f in the pan with a french cannon flint on a Getz barngun.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:29 PM
The Man

Dropped my first flinter deer this morning about 5 til 8:00. I'll post a pick if I can figure out how to get it off my phone and on to my 'puter.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

At about 10, I could see 5 coming down a trail towards me. Got closer and there were 2 really nice buck and 3 doe. Since I already filled my buck tag all I could do was admire them. Put the sights on the largest doe about 50 yards away, squeezed the trigger and click, no ignition. Did this about six more times before they all headed away, and the gun never fired, pan was full of 4f. Flint was never getting good spark off the frizzen. Very frustrating!! The PA Pellet rifle I shoot has proven to be very unreliable on the range and in the woods. Cost me an easy shot on a nice doe today. I don't know what I was thinking getting rid of my Lyman. Time to get another one I guess.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Hit one yesterday right at dusk. She dropped, rolled around some, then got up and took off. Good solid blood trail, even on the leaves. Found some lung material. Went back this morning, followed the trail for over 1/2 mile. Blood was heavy in places, nothing in others. Gave up after two hours of tracking. There was a twig cut in half by the ball right in front of the deer, so I think it deflected the ball into the very back of the lungs. The deer went a long way and climbed several very steep hills, so whether it expired or not is a mystery to me.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Way 2 get it done guys !!!! Congrats!!!!
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM
The Man

O.K.

Figured out how to get the pic from there to here.

Made about a 60 yard shot on this button buck (still kicking myself......I glassed this deer HARD and couldn't see them) with my .50 cal Mountain rifle. A PA conical on top of 80 grains of 2F. Hit it dead nutz where I was trying to. Complete pass through by the conical. It ran about 25-30 yards and started hitting trees and went down.

I still have a tag left. May try for my second ever flinter deer Monday.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page