faster more consistent ignition - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

faster more consistent ignition

What do you guys do?

Some say after loading, pick the touch hole and tap some pan powder in/towards it.

Some say leave it and don't nock powder towards/into the touch hole.

What are your thoughts and why....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Re: faster more consistent ignition

Wrapping your flint in lead instead of leather can help with sparking. Chews up your flints faster though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

flash pan.. when I put my powder in I put just enough to get a "flash". I actually tap the side of the stock to get the powder away from the flash hole. if you don't the powder "burns" into the hole resulting in a slower ignition.
some of the better experienced guys may give a better understanding to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch Co
What do you guys do?
Some say after loading, pick the touch hole and tap some pan powder in/towards it.

Some say leave it and don't nock powder towards/into the touch hole.

What are your thoughts and why....
Picking before priming helps a little. A guy on Muzzleloading Forum (Pletch) has done extensive testing with high speed photography, and banking towards and away do little to decrease lock time.

Polishing the bearing surfaces of the lock will improve things much more! Just keep your polishing from canting the surfaces. I lay parts flat on emory cloth to polish. Polish, not sand or grind.

1. Both sides of tumbler, where it fits against plate, and where it is against the bridle. (take care to not lose the fly while tumbler is out).
2. Both sides of Sear, where it is against plate and bridle
3. top of frizzen spring, where the tab of frizzen contacts it. Bottom of frizzen tab.
4. Very light oiling of frizzen screw, where it goes through pan bridle.
5. Very light oiling where tumbler shaft goes through plate.

All of these will reduce lock time.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Use the least amount of pan powder as you can...I don't really have an explanation as to why... I just know it makes a difference

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM

After pouring in the powder knock the side plate of the gun a few times with your hand to settle the charge powder into the flash channel. When loaded, you should see a few grains of powder hanging just inside the touch hole. No need to pick if you see those grains. Then barely enough prime powder to cover the bottom of the pan. I want the powder to cover the pan evenly. As mentioned above, Pletch has done some great experiments and measuring of ignition time, but his banking too or away experiments involved a single hot wire igniting the powder at one point across the pan. My flint throws sparks in the line down into the pan and in multiple places across the pan. Not just in one place like the hot wire used by Pletch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Starting with a clean DRY bore and vent......a good speedy properly tuned lock.....4F swiss......a sharp good flint.
I don't pick the vent at all, I just make sure there is no chance of that first load falling on some left over cleaning residue anywhere. I even clean the vent with an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner prior to the first load and let dry.

I don't concern myself at all with how the powder in the pan lays or amount. I just fill it, smack it level and snap it shut.
I will never understand personally why you would underfill a pan or create less possible surface area for a spark to hit?
Fill it, shut it and forget it.
In fact I actually widen and polish all of my lock pans and then fill em level. I don't want a spark bouncing around trying to find a little puddle of powder. I want sparks hitting powder no matter where they go.

All my guns look like this going off......

You Tube ignition video

Don't know how you could get any faster? Works for me........other's mileage may vary I guess.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM

To me, it isn't that I get a slower lock time with more powder in the pan. It's that I get a very similar, if not the same, lock time in a half-full pan as I do a full pan. Less powder = less flash for me. Also saves powder. I used to fill the pan on my Renegade, but then I started cutting the charge in the pan down and it helped me to stop flinching. I've never had a problem with the spark finding powder, but again, that's my experience as well.

Polishing lock components definitely helps. I noticed a big difference after polishing my locks. I also started using lead in the jaws. Not sure yet if it really helps that much, but I'll let you know after my next range day.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page