The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What time do you start walking on the opener?

11K views 55 replies 48 participants last post by  outofstater 
#1 ·
I hunt state game lands and you have to get in early... I usually start heading up the mountain around 3:30 ish

When do you start your walk?

#15 ·
i usually start the walk about 5:30. but with 2 15 y/o's who act like getting up an hour early is a death march, i may switch it out and just walk in right at daylight and avoid the flashlight wars. my area is crowded first day and if someone beats me in then i wander in the dark until i find my backup spot. if it was just me, i would be on my stand at 0530 snoozing but i have learned to adjust the last few years.

#17 ·
Buck tag filled this year but I will most likely sit a stand anyway just to take the day in. Too special of a day to stay in camp and listen to the radio chatter.

Probably start walking about 6:00.

#20 ·
2 tags filled (bbuck and doe), so doe only in Potter if that. Will concentrate on bear and yotes if fortune finds me, otherwise a great day to see the woods come alive on opening day and camera handy with video options. Recent heart attacks so walking at minimum pace. Best of luck to all. Remember to get a hunting group picture, as it may sound silly but I wished i would have done that many years ago to have on the wall now.

#21 ·
Loggy1512 said:
I leave the truck for my 1.5 mile hike at 4:30, it takes me about 1 hour to get back to my spot, then I completely change out of the sweaty clothes I walked in with, put up the climber and wait about an hour for daylight to come.
how far away do you keep the clothes that you changed out of. dont make to much diffrence if you change if you keep the sweaty clothing nearby???

#24 ·
Honestly it completly depends on where I'm hunting, but normal practice is I get to my stand/location 1 hour to 45 minutes before sunrise. If I'm hunting a heavily pressured public land I'll get in up to an hour earlier. But I have found most of my areas if I'm in an hour before sunrise I'm okay to not need to worry about others.

#26 ·
I have a ten minute walk in from camp and usually leave about an hour an ten before daylight. If i start seeing traffic on the road before hand I try to hurry out the door a little bit earlier.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.