grandson - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes
  • 8 Post By blackpowder
  • 2 Post By blackpowder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

grandson

a new rifle for my 10 year old grandson. Remington model 7 youth, .243, 18" barrel, 12 1/2" lop, Leupold VX-Freedom EFR 3-9 scope. good shooter! hope he likes it and we can get some woodchucks over Easter weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0300.jpg (394.5 KB, 8 views)
dce, bigguy54, Birch812 and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Good BP. Real good. Has he shot it yet? I am looking for a youth rifle for someone myself and recoil is a big issue. Small female hunter. I almost bought a 243 but I have never shot one and was not sure. Let me know how he likes it and what he thinks of the kick.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

BD, I sighted it in tonight with a buddy of mine and can tell you it is the loudest thing I have ever shot! toughing holes at 50 yards with 2 different brands of ammo and at 175 yards on steel, chips from hits were touching. I don't think it really kicks that much, but the loudness makes it seem like it does. I just ordered some reduced recoil ammo for it and I think it will be fine. he is 10, but a small ten size wise, but I think he will be fine with it. I can't quite wrap my head around these "new" guns with flat finishes and plastic stocks, they just don't have the heart and soul of a nice piece of wood or fine blued finish. i'll stick with my BP guns
bigguy54 and Buckskin Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
BD, I sighted it in tonight with a buddy of mine and can tell you it is the loudest thing I have ever shot! toughing holes at 50 yards with 2 different brands of ammo and at 175 yards on steel, chips from hits were touching. I don't think it really kicks that much, but the loudness makes it seem like it does. I just ordered some reduced recoil ammo for it and I think it will be fine. he is 10, but a small ten size wise, but I think he will be fine with it. I can't quite wrap my head around these "new" guns with flat finishes and plastic stocks, they just don't have the heart and soul of a nice piece of wood or fine blued finish. i'll stick with my BP guns

Thanks BP. I do believe that rifle is a tack driver but I feel the same way about the plastic stocks and new finish's. I think Ill keep looking until I find the kind of rifle I really want to hand her. A bolt or even a pump that has wood with a nice grain, a leather sling and bluing with just enough brush whipping to give it some class. Plenty of time yet.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Primo. I love the 243. I shoot ground hogs all summer and when deer season arrives I really know where it's hitting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM
dce

I bought the same gun for my son when he was 7.I loaded him 150 rounds with 70gr ballistic tips to practice with over the summer and then loaded some 95 ballistic tips for deer season.Recoil never bothered him but the muzzle blast was obnoxious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page