Do quads frighten off deer on the ride in? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Do quads frighten off deer on the ride in?

Hi. I am new to Hunting Pa, and a newly disability hunter, have obtained all the permits to use my King Quad for deer hunting anywhere in Pa, and secured permission to use my quad on the private farm I hunted for years. My question for others who are in the same situation of no longer being able to drag deer, and have a lot of problem walking, is do you drive your quad right to the stand location? Does the quad affect how the deer move when riding in while dark? What do you do to overcome these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

In my experience, the deer don't seem to be bothered by the quads at all...
I too primarily hunt a farm, and they've been using ATV's for almost 20 years.
The deer there only seem to care about them during in-season daylight hours, and only if you stop near them, or happen to ride straight at them.
I've ridden into the blind 20 minutes before sunrise and taken deer 30 minutes later, rode in mid-afternoon and taken deer before I could get fully setup in the blind.
I think it all depends on what they're used to.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Depends with the deer's personal experience with them. Can be conditioned to ignore them, be attracted to them, or be terrified of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 AM

2 of us each drive quads in an park under our stand. This year my cousin killed a big 8 point a half hour later. I find that if you drive in at a reduced steady speed many times they will just stand and watch you. I have spooked just as many walking in.
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've not seen deer become skittish around heavy equipment parked....or even moving. Or even "junk" vehicles or equipment parked in a field. My UTV is electric and unless I'm (as stated above) driving right at 'em or if I stop...that will get 'em moving.

I try to be somewhat pro-active to keep the cart clean (pressure wash with just water....no soap) to keep the obvious scent of a human down as much as possible.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I know you can hear an ATV in the woods a long distance away. Depends what they get use to seeing and hearing. A person walking might scare deer more then a UTV. The more you use it on the property, the more they will get use to it. Once you shoot from it all bets are off.

Log Skidders and chain-saws. Dinner bell for deer.

Once had a pond with trout in it. I feed them off my ATV. They would follow me and the ATV along the shore line.
Steeltrap likes this.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

I ride my Atv to my stand and park it 10 feet away. I do ride slow to keep the noise down to a minimum. At first I was concerned about riding to the stand in the dark and perhaps spooking deer that might be in the field I ride along the edge of. However, I figured since the deer where I hunt live in an area with farm land all around they are use to engine noise and exhaust smell. So far I can see no sign they care about the early noise or the smell.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 AM

I have often rode up close to deer on my 4 wheeler. Usually they will stand to see where you are going and if you stop they often stay put, if you get off or make a movement they don't like they will sometimes leave.

They often seem to have little fear of farm equipment and automative movement.

When archery hunting I usually hunt 150-200 yards from my ATV. Gun hunting closer but I cover the ATV with a camo cover. Distance depends on terrain and cover.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks everyone! It looks like I have had major concerns without cause! The suggestions and other observations you have related to me are appreciated, and most usefull, thanks.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Side note: don't worry too much about your ATV's color either.. I used a bright red Honda for 15+ years and left it parked by the stand... never an issue. No need to spend $$$ for camo or a cover unless you really want to.

I have heard that blue might be more visible and look more out of place to deer than other colors, but have no first hand experience with that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in