Do quads frighten off deer on the ride in? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:46 AM

They don't seem bothered by our atv's at all. I usually only hunt this property during rifle season. The guys that hunt it during archery use them as well. Some park and walk a decent ways and some park fairly close to their stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That also is good information. The wife made certain I could continue deer hunting and got the quad for me. It was a 2017 leftover King Quad in a grey camo that seems to hide easily. Thank you agein for all the great information.

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 12-27-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: information to be removed was unwanted
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've been in a stand with deer underneath me numerous times when I could hear atv's travelling through the woods. The deer almost always ran for heavy cover. Sometimes the came back, but most of the time they didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Deer are not bothered by ATVs where I hunt. I trap off my Suzuki, and have had numerous mature bucks stop and stare as I rode by. In 2016, on the second week of deer season, I had a small canine line out. I drove within 20 yards of a 140 buck, bedded in a patch of briars. When I came back through an hour and a half later, he was still there.

Youíll spook far fewer deer riding to your stand rather than walking in. And leave a lot less scent also. The biggest buck I ever killed with a bow, 148 ď, I had my quad parked 40 yards from the tree I climbed.
Born2Hunt likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I just got in from the afternoon hunt, and although I did not have any deer wander past the stand, the number of active scraqpes (admittedly they look like a button made them) has actually increased from 2 to 4 since I was there yesterday. Seems to support the concept of quads are not looked on any differently than farm equipment by the deer.
Steeltrap likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 PM
The Man

I have 1200 plus acres to hunt thanks to a great land owner. We have trails all through the property. I ride right up on deer and the occasional bear without them being alarmed. If I was walking I would never get close to them. They run when they see me on foot.

A few years ago my son was on his ATV and a coyote walked up to him and walked slowly alongside of him as he called me on his cell phone to tell me about it. The coyote was curious and did not seem afraid. I think my son was more afraid.

This past deer season I parked my side by side in the middle of the trail leading into a clearing I hunt. I was expecting the deer to come in from the other side of the clearing. The deer came down the trail and walked around the side by side and into the clearing.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
I have heard that blue might be more visible and look more out of place to deer than other colors, but have no first hand experience with that...

There is a study that determined deer can see the color blue. I read it but forgot the details how they determined that.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 PM

I use to hunt a large Christmas tree farm. I learned that deer will adapt. The owners of the farm were continuously riding atv's through the trails on the farm, planting, cutting, trimming and generally taking care of the trees. The deer were constantly exposed to the atv's. So when I and a buddy started hunting this land we would sneak up through the trees on foot. We never saw a deer. One day the owner offered us a ride up on the atv. For the first time we saw deer. The little light bulb in my head went off. After that we started riding our atv's to our stands. We began seeing and getting deer. Those deer were conditioned to the constant sound of the atv. When we walked up all we did was scare them because none of the workers walked so it was different and they were spooked. So I would say if there are atv's running where you hunt at different times of the year it probably will not bother the deer.

Democracy: 2 wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
Liberty: Well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Certain models! Grizzly,Timberwolf,Bruin,
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:50 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt rudy View Post
I find that if you drive in at a reduced steady speed many times they will just stand and watch you. I have spooked just as many walking in.

That.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page