The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

He finally got him! (continued from xbow fourm)

5K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  deluxe hunter 
#1 ·
After 40 hours in the stand and the heart break of not finding the deer he hit last year it all came together yesterday 11-5-11. My 7 year old joined the Brotherhood. I am so proud of him and can not wait for more years to come.

Like I said he has been pounding the woods with me keeping his spirits up though we havent really seen too many deer. On Friday I got off a little early and we were ready to go and my Quad would not start. I left the lights on for a week and the battery was dead. He cried because he really wanted to go. After 6 hours of work the quad started and we were ready for Saturday. We had all the calls ready, rewashed all the clothes, and had our gear sitting out. I could not sleep Friday because I knew what was going on out in the woods. I get him up and he pops up and was ready. Only thing is we only had 1.5 hours to hunt because he had Soccer (which was a make up game from last week arrrr). We got in our blind and there was no wind put up the sent and got ready. We checked the height of the tripod as we always do and wait for light. I had the feeling like something was going to happen. 8am game and I needed to make something happen I grunted, hit the can, and rattled for about 1 minute. All of a sudden I see the buck coming I tell him here he comes, we get him ready to go and the buck came to 30 yards I said do you see him he said yes, I say shoot him he doesnt, the deer now walks to 20 yards, I say shoot him he doesnt. The deer now is at 12 to 15 yards I say shoot him he doesnt. I then bleat with my mouth the buck stops looks right at us and WHACK! Deer does the classic kick, and wobble. I grab my son, grabs me and both of us say got that one! I watch the deer run off seeing red behind the shoulder. At 60 yards I see him dart and then lost him. I immediately call my dad and he says give it time, go to soccer (again last year we saw his buck fall twice and never found him). So we waited until 8:45 to get out of the blind and found the bolt stuck in a tree and full of blood... (he says "where have we seen this before ala Uncle Ted). We had to walk about 150 yards to the quad and on the way I saw the blood and lots of it. It took everything I had not to go over that hill. We get to the house, he wakes up his mom, and brother, I get on here... my mind was racing. I dont want to go to soccer at all, but it is Trophy day and a tournament. He is torn on going and I say go play one game and we will go. He said ok, I dont even get out of my hunting gear. I am a complete mess at this point. We go to the game he scores two goals, gets his trophy and says to me this is not the only trophy I get today. I do a mach 10 home, feed him and his brother and we went to the woods. Went to the bolt and started walking at this point I knew it was a good hit. Heavy blood trail, 65 yards he was laying there! Once I saw him I said look, He yells YES!!!!!!!!!!!! runs over to him and the rest is locked in our memories forever. We sat on top the hill for a good 45 minutes called about 40 people. I was just beside myself seeing all his hard work, and dedication come to this pinacle was something I will cherrish forever. We get him to the quad he helps me load him up and says it is your turn. We hugged and went home. We stopped at 3 neighbors house on the way, and the land owners as well. He thanked them and we went home. I was on cloud 9 yesterday and today. Though it is my turn I am going to miss him being right there with me but he earned the right to sleep in now. Enjoy the pictures....

See less See more
#9 ·
Thats just AWESOME!!!! I have a 2 yr old and cant wait till he is big enough to get out there! I had the honor of teaching my 17 yr old stepson the hunting tradition and he is hooked but now is to busy hunting with friends to go with me! Guess that happens but i know next yr my 10 yr old stepdaughter will be out with the crossbow as she shoots very good!!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.