A gang of bear hunters who know what they're doing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

A gang of bear hunters who know what they're doing

Just in time for bear season comes the second issue of a new online magazine called Bear Hunters Online. In it is an article by yours truly about a highly successful bear gang in the Bradford area (McKean County) called the Rudy Luce Bear Camp. I don't want to make this an advertisement, but to see it you have to subscribe. (It's only $5.99 for a year -- 6 issues. Click on "Back Issues" --and I think you'll be able to read the first issue for free.)

Also in this issue is a pictorial spread of Pennsylvania wildlife artist Jack Paluh's paintings of bears, some tips on snow tracking, and a picture of a bear hibernating in an eagle's nest.

The Rudy Luce Bear Camp has taken over 100 bears, a couple of times 8 in one day. Worth reading with bear season less than a week away.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: A gang of bear hunters who know what they're doing

I know of a Clinton County gang that has well over 200 bears to their credit and I think there is only 15-17 people and some of them are young kids. I'm not saying names but anyone from that area knows or has heard of them. I'm pretty sure too that they killed 12 last year in archery alone.

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thats an add right? Along with the article a while back that all lead up to the info on how to buy one particular gland lure for scrapes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by croz2173
Thats an add right? Along with the article a while back that all lead up to the info on how to buy one particular gland lure for scrapes?
If you think it's an ad then don't open it. I got nothing for mentioning pre-orbital gland lure, and I get nothing for mentioning this magazine. Just one beggar telling others where they can get a sandwich.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM

i know the renovo gang that hunts clinton.. they put fur on the ground and dont stop til everyone in the gang gets one.. thats detication right there, these aint your average bear drives either.. much respect to them!

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sorry Steve, shouldnt assume that about you. Im used to seeing things i cant trust in magazines due to a specific product being promoted.
When you think about it really wouldnt make sense that youd be getting any money for either of these.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by croz2173
Sorry Steve, shouldnt assume that about you. Im used to seeing things i cant trust in magazines due to a specific product being promoted.
When you think about it really wouldnt make sense that youd be getting any money for either of these.
No problem. This Internet magazine thing is somewhat in experimental stages. Many of them are free. Without the cost of paper (which is footballed all over the place and supply is often uncertain) and the continually rising cost of postage, the expenses of an Internet magazine are much lower. I've lobbied for making this one free, because with so much free info on the Internet it will be hard to compete. But on the other hand, bear hunting info is not as widespread as deer and turkey, and the hunters are deeply dedicated, so maybe a nominal fee will work for this -- at least until they gin up the advertising.

Incidentally, even I have to pay the $5.99 to get a copy of the stuff I write.

Steve.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I live and hunt Clinton County and have hunted with the Renovo gang once. The guy I went with shot one and they killed 6 the 2nd day that year while I was there. The land is amazing there and not for the faint of heart. I thought I was in shape being a slender young man and I seriously was hoping they would drag me out...Tough hunting but very rewarding.

Aim small miss small
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM
The Man

Just subscribed and read the Rudy Luce article....Great job, Steve-that article was worth the entire subscription price, IMO!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I know the Renovo guys as well...I will probably see them first thing Saturday morning as their first drive of the day is usually right through Camp Run Hollow where my camp is...theyve shot bear within yards of my outhouse before haha. They are a good group of guys and have a lot of luck, mostly due to the older members of the gangs knowledge of every inch of those bear drives. They are definitely good to have around, they get the bear moving!

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page