Bear cubs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Bear cubs

I was just wondering what everyone felt on shooting bear cubs. I myself am only 18 and have only been bear hunting for about 4 years and have never seen a bear while hunting them. I would extremely excited and blessed to even see one but I don't know if I would feel right shooting a 50 lb bear. What do you guys think?

"The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed"
- Terence McKenna
1B, 2A, 2B, 2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Bear cubs

A bear is a bear in my eyes. When they come flying through the woods is hard to tell how big they are unless 250 plus. If a 50 pounder was to come strolling through I would not hesitate. I have taken 2 pa bear 140 and 363 both field dressed. You will hear guys say stuff but just smile away you took a PA black bear.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

That's kind of I feel but I'm not sure... A bear in pa is a once in a lifetime opportunity unless you are driving them with a lot of people but we don't do that. I would probably shoot it cus it is hard to tell how big they are but I wouldn't know how I felt about until after

"The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed"
- Terence McKenna
1B, 2A, 2B, 2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM

To each their own, but my opinon is my signature. If it can fit in an 8 gallon bucket let it alone.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Get out the popcorn.....

Gonna be a good one!

Oh yeah, my opinion....BANG!

There is no "Catch and Release" in the world of hunting!!!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Zink Calls Pro Staff
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
The Man

Just gonna say it now, as long as this thread remains civil it will stay. Joe W, this has been a subject of some very heated debates over the years. Each side has presented some great points but the fact is every situation is unique. What I may deem acceptable may not fly with others.

Truth is that harvesting cubs may not be a popular choice, however it is a legal activity and I will not begrudge or harrass another hunter who chooses to do so.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I started out hunting I would have taken any legal bear but now that I've gotten a few I would not shoot a cub.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I wont knowingly shoot a cub...

But like was said, ive seen 2 bears in my life...i cant judge a bear unless it was with others...or something i could judge it on..

I also hunt by drives and it is a real rare occasion that i sit...so bears i may see arent going to sit still and let me study them...

I wont bash anyone for shooting anything legal...my crew killed 2 cubs a couple years ago...47 and 83lbs i think...sow and boar...their sow got shot earlier that day and were wandering around lost...i was glad the 2 guys down the line got them and i didnt...just my feelings...i shot a coyote later that day and it was longer than them...i dont wanna shoot a cub...but i know it may happen with how i hunt...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Part of the Community

Like others said it is hard to tell while there running full boar through the woods. Like Mauser im usually one of the guys walking so if I see a bear and able to make a SAFE shot I wouldnt hesitate on a smaller bear. Reason for expressing the safe is just be extremely cautious and dont let the excitment of seeing one overcome the safety of others you may be hunting with. I had to make this decision last year which was really tough especially being the first time in 8 years that I have seen a bear while hunting for them but knew I had standers straight ahead I didnt take the shot. Be safe have fun and good luck to you.

Sitting here wating on a deer wishing on a star i will always be true to my heart
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
The Man

Early in my hunting career I would not hesitate to shoot anything that was legal. Now I choose to shoot when and if I want to. I would never hold anyone else to that standard, just as I wouldn't want anyone bashing me for not shooting if I had the chance to. Pulling the trigger is always a choice.

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page