Tips for a solo bear hunter. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tips for a solo bear hunter.

Hello all. It looks like I will be a Lone Ranger out in the bear woods this season. I am a newbie when it comes to bear hunting. I am looking to see if anyone has some advice on how and where to hunt bear when it is just a single hunter. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Deer tremble at the sound of my name....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Tips for a solo bear hunter.

Depends where you're hunting and what's around. Some places a lot of guys do great in the swamps. Other places guys do really will hunting hillsides above standing corn. Where I hunt in the big woods you're best bet is to hunt a wide open hollow with lots of visibility where there are other hunters. Wait until they get the itch and start moving the bears around and increase your chances of seeing them move through.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Part of the Community

I am guessing you are going to hunt around Mercer Co. as your from Greenville. Not a ton of public land. I would try my best to scout out some bear sign in places you are able to hunt or ask permission where you have seen bears/sign. Spotlighting may not be a bad option where you are. Bearklr has it right for the big woods. Also, talk with folks in your hunting area. Information can be had from many different sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I am going to hunt round marienville. I was thinking of hunting a swamp or a beech nut hollow. I am a novice but guess I have to start somewhere. I appriciate,the tips. Keep them coming.

Deer tremble at the sound of my name....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Part of the Community

In that case, I would hunt like Bearklr says. Look down into hollows that you can see for a ways. Also check out old clear cuts. With people in the woods, you'll never know what will get kicked up. Should be lots of hunters out on the Saturday. I would get on Google Earth and pick out some places that looked interesting then make a game plan to follow with a GPS.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Near a road and with a game plan on how to get it out.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

if you're going near marienville, i heard they had a bumper crop of black walnuts this year. the bears are crushing them. i've talked to a guy that says he's seen more bear than deer up above marienville this year. according to the local WCO, if you find the walnuts, you'll find the bear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Part of the Community

Have a plan to get it out! Anything over 200# is going to be a nightmare to get out by yourself. For some reason bears seem a lot harder to move than deer.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 PM
New Arrival

I was worried about getting a bear out of AGC Forrest since ATV's aren't permitted that time of year so I called the PA Game commission. Call them and ask yourself, you're fine to quarter up the bear and carry it out in pieces before you take it to the check station. As for finding them I'm no expert, this is my second year out. In my mind bears are few and far between so I like to sit near food, water, and thick cover where I can see a long ways with plenty of shooting lanes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonie
I am going to hunt round marienville. I was thinking of hunting a swamp or a beech nut hollow. I am a novice but guess I have to start somewhere. I appriciate,the tips. Keep them coming.
Lots of bear up that way.. Have you found or scouted for a swamp or beech nut hollow yet?? If not, get out bc alot of other hunters are looking for the same type of area..Good Luck..

Pittsburgh Boxing Club 51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page