bear camp age - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

bear camp age

How old was you or your kid the first time they went to bear camp.
My son wants to go to camp with us but I'm still thinking about it. He will just sit with me or sit with one of my cousins if I'm putting on a drive. He has tagged along deer hunting around home but has never gone to camp hunting. He is 7 years old and I told him if he get straight A's I would take him hunting with me this year but I didn't say it would be in bear season but he has worked his butt off in school and just finished up his first year of football that took up 6 days a week of our time. Just thinking this might be a good reward for all his hard work.

Thanks bbwrench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: bear camp age

Take him to camp!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Regular Visitor

Take him, my son was 5. He took a pop gun. Slept in a bunk with me. He will learn by watching you and you will love having him be a part of your hunt. I would even put up two tree stands side by side as he got a little older and bought him a full body safety harness. He watched me harvest bucks and bear and he was fascinated by the field dressing and looking at all the different organs. LOL. When he turned 12 it was his turn and he did a fine job. Now at age 21 he is working and does not get to go and I miss my buddy. Maybe someday he will want to go afield again...I always enjoy seeing the youth out hunting and I would go out of my way for their success in the areas that I hunt. Most hunters I see are around the same ages. The hunting youth are our future. You are a great dad! Good reward system...

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was 14 the first time I got to go to bear camp. Since the bear opener was traditionally on a Monday that meant I had to miss school to go. My brother and I got sick a day or two in archery and always took a day off for the old doe season so bear was out of the question. I'd say if he wants to go, take him. Many parents probably wish their kids would want to go, so take advantage of it while you can.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Take him. He will have fun.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM

???? That depends on if its a camp full of men that like to drink, stay up late and play cards, swear, smoke, just carry on...No..I dont think it would be fair to the other guys and do you want to subject a 7 year old to that ?? Now if its your camp and none of the previous things happen and he can handle the weather and the hunting all day, sure take him...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM

My grandson has been with us at bear camp since he was 7 years old. He will turn 14 this year while at camp. He has been packing his own 06 since he was 12.

1A-2F
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM

You made the promise so in my opinion you need to honor that.He'll also learn how tough bear hunting is.I'd take him on the drives.he's been in football so he's in shape for it,and will make him feel like more of a participant.I promised my son a trip out west for either elk,muleys or antelope if his grades were good and they are so next year he comes along.But, I'll probably start him on antelope.As a father, if you make an agreement with them, you HAVE to hold up your end to show your true to your word

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote: "I told him if he get straight A's I would take him hunting with me this year but I didn't say it would be in bear season." I already planned on taking him on a Mentored hunt in deer season. So I am holding up on my end of the deal.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Yeah,but he chose bear hunting.Maybe tell him its one or the other;pick.Good boy to be getting such good grades and playing sports;your very lucky

yote addiction: a pack a day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page