Maryland Bear Update - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Maryland Bear Update

For all who may be interested yesterday was the first day of the Maryland Black Bear Season. The Maryland bear season is by lottery only and the hunt is confined to two counties Garrett and Allegany. Yesterday hunters checked in 32 bears and today at 3:00 pm. the count was 40. I will post again after 9:00 tonight to give an update. Most of the Maryland bears are harvested in the evening and on private land. This year is the first year that the Maryland DNR is giving more preference to hunters from the two huntable counties. I just purchase a preference point each year because I love to hunt PA bear but someday I will cash out my points. The Maryland season will end on Saturday or when the set quota is reached. The hunt has never reached a Saturday yet!

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Re: Maryland Bear Update

As of 9:00 pm. 59 bears have been harvested after 2 days of hunting. The hunt remains open with a quota of 80 to 110 bears. Maryland DNR usually will close the season when the lower # is reached. Current Maryland Bear Hunting began in 2004 when 20 bears were harvested. Numbers have grown since then and today biologists estimate the population has doubled. 1,000 hunters are involved this year compared to approx. 600 in 2004. 65 bears were taken last year when the season was closed. I will update the info . tomorrow after 9:00.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Do They hunt over bait or with dogs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

As of 3:00 pm Wednesday 67 bears have been harvested. No, Maryland bear hunters are not allowed to hunt over or near bait or use dogs. It is a lot like the PA season. The only tricky part to that no bait law that I do not like is the fact that Maryland deer hunters can use bait. So if a bear hunter is on his or her private land and has been baiting deer and bear have been hitting the "deer" bait DNR would have a hard time catching someone who might want to be dishonest. A tip would have to be brought to their attention. I'm not saying it happens I'm just saying it could happen. Private land is where most of the bears are harvested. In Maryland a hunter might have an entire state forest to themselves which one might think is good however it is good I think to have other hunters in the bear woods to move them around so to speak. Hunting pressured areas is one way I harvest PA bears. I like lots of hunters for bear. I love to bear hunt!!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

As of 8:45 pm Wednesday 74 bears have been harvested. The hunt does remain open through tomorrow. I would imagine tomorrow could be the last day of the hunt since 80-110 is the quota. I think without checking my records 74 is the largest # harvested since 2004. After tomorrow harvest #'s should be around 90 or so. I would expect similar harvest #"s for PA Hunters hunting Fayette and Somerset Counties since those counties border the Maryland hunt area... Fayette might be slightly lower because Garrett County has more bear huntable area. Just a guess...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hunt continues! 85 bears harvested as of 9:00 pm on Thursday. This is the first year the DNR went over the minimum and let the hunt continue. I did listen to the wildlife biologist tonight on the 7:00 news and he said that they do want to control the population in the two huntable counties so that the population does not spread into the more urban areas like Washington and Frederick Counties. I would be surprised if the season continues into Saturday. But who knows!!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Maryland Bear Season is now closed. As of 9:00 pm today (Friday) 92 bears were harvested. The quota was 80-110 so DNR met their harvest goal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page