successful cow elk tag winners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

successful cow elk tag winners

First of all congratulations to all those who have drawn a cow elk tag for the 2012 elk season. I have a camp in elk country and have been around hunting during those past hunts. What I have seen and if you look at the results from years past it is not a sure thing that you will harvest a cow. Do your homework or seek help for your once in a lifetime hunt. Some people make it seem as though you just walk into your hunt zone harvest your elk. Look up the results yourself and you will see that there is a good percentage of unsuccessful cow hunters. The second year of the hunt I had a friend of a friend of mine stay at my camp to hunt for a cow. the first day he missed one but went on to hunt hard the rest of the week only to be unsuccessful. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: successful cow elk tag winners

I could not agree more.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
The Man

I disagree, as long as you do a little scouting, you will find the elk and they will be in the general area.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Did a DIY hunt last year for a cow ,had a friend of mine that used to guide. ,I also talked to a couple guides last year when I got my cow tag, all said cows can actually be harder to get than bulls.
I actually had more shots at bulls last year than mature cows, had alot of smaller cows in close but waited for bigger one.
Be patient and persistent and it will pay off.

...actually,heard that biggest cow shot last year was on Saturday ( last day) with guide

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am a die hard DIY hunter. Buckshot nailed it. If you put the time in and scout. Get to know the terrain. And understand the differences between elk and deer...how and why they move, you will get your cow elk. That said, if someone does not have the time to scout or hike the area they are allowed to hunt to become familiar with it and the elk, their odds diminish drastically. A hunter under these conditions would be best suited to use a guide.....if they can afford the extra cost. Not everyone can in these economic times. Hunt of a lifetime or not.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Believe me, I'm not taking anything for granted. Planning on doing the hunt DIY but will be putting time in as well. I don't want to be the guy that doesn't get an elk.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been in the area hunting on more than one occasion when on the last day I come accross even guides trying to find the client an elk. You would think that as a guide you would have the upper hand on the herd. Good luck to all and like I said in my original post , do your homework. There is a reason there are unsuccessful cow hunters. Where they are this week doesnt mean when you head out on the 5th they will be where you found them......just saying
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM

are you allowed to spot them at night like deer?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Zone Area and hunting pressure are a big influence .
If your hunting a zone with alot of tags, gonna have more guys in woods bumping 'em around especially early in week (Mon/Tue) ,they ( elk) get skittish, but by Thur/ Fri they seem to calm down some.
You wouldn't think there is a lot of people out due to the fact there are only x amount of tags, but the guides may have several groups out looking for elk for 1 tag to fill.
may help, may make it a little more difficult.
my advice ... have a plan ,a backup plan , and another backup plan.

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im in zone 9, Elk are very friendly in my parts. Much easier to get close to than a whitetail or a bear. If you got a tag you should be highly disappointed in yourself if you dont fill that tag. Not to put pressure on anyone but its not hard to find them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page