New to Bear hunting in 4A - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New to Bear hunting in 4A

I bought a bear tag for the 1st time this year. I would like to meet up with some guys in my area to hunt this year. I live in southern Franklin County. We do have bears in this county but a lot of land is private where I know bears are, and there isn't a possibility of getting on that land. Could I meet up with anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: New to Bear hunting in 4A

I live south east of you and travel through your area on my way to bear hunt. If you check the bear harvest numbers for Franklin over the last 10 years and compare them to counties just to your north you might consider driving a little farther. You will increase your odds greatly. More hunters, more bear, and lots of state land. Good luck. Bear hunting in PA just gets better and better.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Part of the Community

Cowans Gap state park would be a good place to start, That would be your closest bet if you end up going alone. I'll likly be in New york that week fishin for browns
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Part of the Community

I've only hunted bear in PA once before. I too will be hunitng bear in 4A this year. Anyone have any suggestions for the northeastern part of Bedford County / southwestern part of Huntingdon County??? There will only be two of us this year so any kind of drive is out of the question.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

JWC,try Sideling hill mountain off of Route 30 which is Buchanon state forest..There are bears killed there every year..Take 30 West from Mcconnelsburg,PA...Alot of trails and dirt forest roads to hunt along.. Boykin,try Bear Valley near fort loudon,PA..Always a few bears in there and lightly hunted..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
The Man

I hunt 4a my self and there is fair amount taken on Martin Hill in Buchanan forest.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I will be in 4a up in fulton county, off of Bark Road. Anyone gonna be in that area. Apparently the area I am hunting is close to the check in station. I don't know. I've not been to the check station. I would really like to connect with other hunters in this area. It's a new spot for me. But I have talked to several land owners in tr area who have Sweden many bears in the area. So, I'm hoping for some luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page