pa elk herd - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

pa elk herd

i have a question about the pa elk herd and i will make it short. i hope my facts are correct. in 1913-1926 pa introduced 177 elk into the wilds of pa. after 87 years the elk herd has only grown to around 600 to 800 animals, while Kentucky didn't start introducing elk into there state until 1997. a total of 1500 elk with 500 in 2002. there herd is now over 5000 elk. why is it that the pa game commission hasn't kept up with the herd and brought in more elk and located elk in other areas like Kentucky. why has our herd stayed so small and Kentucky's heard grown so much in just 10 to 12 years. 177 elk to 600 in 85 years and kentucky 1500 to 5000 in 10 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM

Re: pa elk herd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdogg1
i have a question about the pa elk herd and i will make it short. i hope my facts are correct. in 1913-1926 pa introduced 177 elk into the wilds of pa. after 87 years the elk herd has only grown to around 600 to 800 animals, while Kentucky didn't start introducing elk into there state until 1997. a total of 1500 elk with 500 in 2002. there herd is now over 5000 elk. why is it that the pa game commission hasn't kept up with the herd and brought in more elk and located elk in other areas like Kentucky. why has our herd stayed so small and Kentucky's heard grown so much in just 10 to 12 years. 177 elk to 600 in 85 years and kentucky 1500 to 5000 in 10 years.
I donít know much about the history of elk in Kentucky because I never looked up the history of elk there, but you can learn a lot about why we donít have a larger elk population in Penna. by reading the history of elk provided in the following link.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622078&mode=2

Dick Bodenhorn
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdogg1
I donít know much about the history of elk in Kentucky because I never looked up the history of elk there, but you can learn a lot about why we donít have a larger elk population in Penna. by reading the history of elk provided in the following link.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622078&mode=2

Dick Bodenhorn
thanks Dick. that is the most interesting article i've read on the elk herd. we have had a camp on Dents run road for over 70 years. i'm sure you've been past it many times because of it's close location to 311. i seen my first elk in the late 50's on houston hill, but the herd has always been around our camp. i'm not sure if Kentucky has more wild area than pa or not. i have read articles that they have become a real nuisance in parts of Kentucky. i did read where Kentucky has a calfing rate of 92%. i do understand why we need to keep the herd in check, but you know they have been moving well out of the orig. elk range. i wasn't blaming the pgc for anything, just can't understand why our herd doesn't keep up with Kentucky's herd as you would think they have the same problems as pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Part of the Community

Just read up on the history of Eastern elk. Got me thinking, it says last Eastern Elk was killed in 1877 and by 1880 they were declared extinct. It then goes on to say "Not long after the last elk was killed in Pennsylvania, federal officials, worried about mushrooming elk herds in and around Yellowstone National Park, offered the animals to anyone willing to take them. The recently formed Pennsylvania Game Commission took Yellowstone officials up on their offer, and launched a program to reintroduce elk to Pennsylvania".. What would the odds of been for a few unknown native elk to still have been around?? Just curious, seems like a few elk could stay hidden for 35 years in late 1800's PA til there western cousins arrived.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

No doubt that's a good possibility. There wasn't any high tech equipment back then to do a proper survey and some natives could have easily been around.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've always been kind of curious about the original eastern elk. From what I understand, they were pretty much like deer as far as diet, like nuts and browse. I always wondered how big they were as far as size compared to the rocky mountain elk. It's too bad nobody had the forsight back then to try to protect the remaining eastern elk because seeing what a success story the deer have had, we might just have an excellent elk population across the state today.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Imteresting thread.

eastern elk

read the part about Remnant populations and the "crown" points. we seem to get LOTS of that with our pa elk. Not common out west

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page