Maine Bear Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Maine Bear Hunting

you know the old saying..."you shoulda been here last year"...well thats this year here in Maine for bear hunting...for the first time in 12 years, there's very little feed in the woods for bears...apple crop suffered by late frost..acorns almost non existent, beech nuts not happening, blackberries are done....bears are pounding the baits...I checked a bait yesterday and had 542 videos on it in 3 days, almost all daylight pictures...if anyone has hunted Maine before, and heard the excuses...there's no excuse this year...its on in Maine...8 days to go boys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Re: Maine Bear Hunting

Ahhh, someday I will hunt black bear in Maine.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Sage

I hunted Bear about 10-12 years ago in East Millinocket, about 12 miles S.of Patton, had a lot of fun didnt score, did some fishing in the mornings, hunted Bear after lunch til dark.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Part of the Community

Wow I think I picked the perfect year! All your posts have me fired up! I leave the 14th of Sept. Kinda late but, That is what my schedule allowed!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 AM

A buddy and I are headed up for a DIY hunt. We won't be in attendance for the opener, but will be in stand the morning of Sept 3. I tried to be off for the opener but the vacation schedule at work didn't cooperate.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Regular Visitor

Shot one a few years ago. Horrible outfitter but got me a bear none the less
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Part of the Community

I went to maine last year had all of the excuses. Even if there is a bumper year for apples etc...its not like there is a magic twinkie and hoho tree out there. If a guide cant put a bear on a bait consistantly then they suck.

I have killed 1 in PA and been the reason that atleast 8 others our group have killed bear, to me Maine can keep their bear cans and dogs...there is no skill or hunt for the trigger man there. The guide is the hunter and you are just there to pull the trigger. Never will go back.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've bear hunted in Maine several times with hounds and over bait. Everytime I enjoyed my hunt and had a great experience. I was also able to pass over sows with cubs at the barrel several times. Something that isn't done here. I will not knock anyone that has done this in the PA woods because a bear running through the laurel is difficult to judge. I have no problem with anyone legally taking a bear by any means in any state or providence they want to. To each their own! Hunt like you want to!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Part of the Community

I could care less if people want to hunt that way, but I was just saying to me, it didnt feel like hunting. My style isnt passively letting other people do the work. When I squeeze the trigger I want to know that all the effort I put in in scouting and learning the beast came together. I would be the same way here in PA as someone saying sit here and kill a deer.

Then again PA has the elite class of backyard corn feeder hunters that put their pictures in the paper like they were mountain men....so there are wannabe glamour hunters everywhere. Along these same lines i never watch tv hunting shows.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

We killed 5 out of 7 bears the first night...my ten year old made his first kill, and my buddys 10 year old daughter made her first kill...6 out of 7 for the week...The guy who didn't kill was after a monster 450lb bear..he passed several bears all week..perfect weather except for one thunder shower..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page