Elk Zones - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Elk Zones

Over the past few years I have been putting in for the elk drawing and every year I have heard something good about a new zone, and it seems like I have applied for a new zone every year. I really want to pick a good zone and stick with it. If I do get drawn it will most likely be a DIY hunt, so the zone has to have plenty of public land. I have been looking at the harvest map and right now I am stuck between Zone 2 and Zone 7. Would these be good choices, or are there better?

Thanks, PA Waterfowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Elk Zones

I apply for Zone 9 plenty of public land in that zone. I also have a camp in that zone.Seen lots of bulls there.The new non typicial state record was taken in zone 9,but that was on private property.I think you"ll do good in any of the zones your talking about with alot of scouting.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM

both zones have good populations and lots of public ground but the main difference between the two is the "wild" factor. zone 7 elk can be just as spooky and wiley as any whitetail out there! dont let people fool you into thinking that they are all tame and pets...zone 7 is far from that! ive seen elk that the second the spot light would hit them they were gone and some would give you a quick look for cpl secs but that was it. if it were me personnaly i would apply for zone 7 just for that reason.

zone 2 is quite different in that asspect from zone 7 but they need population control as well. lately zone 7 has been turning out some giant bulls as too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish2
both zones have good populations and lots of public ground but the main difference between the two is the "wild" factor. zone 7 elk can be just as spooky and wiley as any whitetail out there! dont let people fool you into thinking that they are all tame and pets...zone 7 is far from that! ive seen elk that the second the spot light would hit them they were gone and some would give you a quick look for cpl secs but that was it. if it were me personnaly i would apply for zone 7 just for that reason.

zone 2 is quite different in that asspect from zone 7 but they need population control as well. lately zone 7 has been turning out some giant bulls as too!
you seen to give the impression all zone 2 elk are tame. you couldn't be more wrong. the elk in the west hicks / big bason area are as wild as any.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 AM

your couldnt be more right elkdogg and i dont mean to "dirt mouth" zone 2 at all! but most ppl who think of zone 2 dont think of those areas. maybe becasue they are not as visible or condusive to elk veiwing as the winslow and surrounding areas. there is a good quality hunt to be had in any of the zones if one does their homework and puts in their time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page