Hunting PA Bear by wheelchair.......but where? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hunting PA Bear by wheelchair.......but where?

Hello, I am looking for advice here. I am a pure breed PA Sportsman/Hunter w/a Crossbow/Rifle in a wheelchair. I am looking where could I have “success or at least a chance” to hunt black bear in PA? Where in PA?

I am from Erie County and can travel, I hunt with my brother for assistance. Thanks for any input…….here’s to a good PA Hunting season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hunting PA Bear by wheelchair.......but where?

Gamelands 51, go past the entrance to camp carmel church camp, go about 3 miles and its the road to the right, right on top of the mountain there is a deer fence enclosure of some type on the right as soon as you start out the road, if you do not see the enclosure you went to far. The gravel road is near flat for a couple miles.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thank you for the info..I’m trying to map it out. Is Carmel church camp on a dead end by the bike trail & the Yough? Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Where the red marker is is Camp Carmels gate. You wanna get on Dunbar-Ohiopyle Road and take it til Kingin Hill Road and you wanna turn left if your going up the mountain, and right if your coming down the mountain from 381. Then you'll see the signs.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Regular Visitor

I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions on this site but SGL 51 in Fayette is accessible to you. On the map that CROW posted look at the capital N in number under the state game land name. Then move 1/2 inch left until you come to what looks like a circle. That is a SGL parking lot with a gate that has a sign for handicapped hunters. The road is gravel and flat on the upper part. MANY bears have crossed that road during bear season. That area is called Zebley Flats. Fayette is due for a good bear season this year. The numbers were down last year. The year before that the drillers were in there. You should find scat along that road. Also there is a tree/plant called devils walking stick and you will see it all ripped up along the road. To the south of the gate on the SGL road that you drive in on is a small stream that flows into Glade Creek. Near that small stream is an overgrown field on both sides of the road. There are animal travel routes that cross that road. A few years back hunters drove 3 bears across that road and they killed them the following day. I would take Rt. 40 east out of Uniontown then turn left at a bank on the left at chalk hill then follow that to Deer Lake and make a left just past lake. Follow that road into the game lands that are well marked. Not far on your right you will see a very large mud hole parking place and on the left is a SGL gate and road. Turn left and stay on the dirt road and you will run into the last parking area a ways down the road. First day there can be as many as 50 or more trucks in that area GO EARLY but that is what you want for bear. Believe me the bear are there I harvested a 14 year old there in 2008 then a taxidermist from Uniontown stold it from me. I still have the skull though. If you need any other directions, places to stay, eat, etc. just let us know we are her for you. Good Luck!

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do you have a power chair?
if so i know so spots i can put you in that are pretty decent in clearfield county north of I-80. They are flat but productive for deer and bear
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yes I am in an electric wheelchair that's pretty good in off road terrain. I also have a 4x4 van and a brother who has kept me in the woods. Thanks for responding!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shoot me a PM if interested. I know of a spot thats been very good over the years thats flat with a well worn trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page