Bear Hunting in 2B,5B, 5C, 5D - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bear Hunting in 2B,5B, 5C, 5D

Is there any public land that offers a good shot at a bear in those areas? I just read in the reg book that Active Duty Military can use firearms 18-20 Oct. I might be able to put in for some leave now, if my chances of seeing some bear might be good. Any help would be great. I could always try the archery/muzzleloader seasons too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Bear Hunting in 2B,5B, 5C, 5D

I'm not sure about 2B, but the other WMU's don't really have many bears, especially on public land. I wouldn't waste my time trying to specifically hunt bear there.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Regular Visitor

2B and bear what can I say? There is a game land there you could scout it, although I think your best chance in 2B would be to get with a large group of other hunters and get permission to put on as many drives as you can in some really thick stuff. I would talk with UPS drivers, delivery drivers, any one who spends a lot of time on the roads in 2B and see if they have seen any bears on a weekly basis?? My sister lives in 2B and she did tell me the PGC set a trap very near her house and it is very thick there and she is close to a major river. Access to that area is very limited due to developments. You would have to know some one and park in there driveway. The northern part of 2B might be your best bet but I think if I could I would hunt in the southern part on/near the river but a lot of door knocking would have to be done. Tough area to hunt bear in. Good Luck, I would go with you but I do not meet any of the criteria.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here in northern 2b bear are few and far between. I have check out a lot of places. We just had a 300 lb trapped out that was 5 miles from my house. Alot can happen between now and then. The one I was after last year got hit 2 week before the season.As of right now all I have is 5 leads on 3 different bears. If thing look good. I wll give you a shout and you can hunt with me as permisson is hard to come buy.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM

In my opinion unless you have guarenteed access to a piece of property where you know a bear is being frequently seen in one of these WMUs,and have time to scout thoroughly to confirm the bear is still there closer to the season, it would be a waste of your leave to try to hunt bear in one of these areas. Even in last seasons record setting harvest there was only 1 bear taken in 2B,1 in 5C, 0 in the other 2.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM

they have been trapping the bears out of 2b. unless you got one tied up here somewhere, i wouldn't waste the time.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Agreed with the last couple posts. Unless you put in some serious time scouting a bear known to frequent a given area, 2B is very tough to hunt.
That doesn't mean it's impossible however, so talk to some people and see what you can find out. Good luck!

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Bear population seems to be growing in the Michaux SF portion of 5B. Had a harvest of 2 last year plus an illegal kill or two.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM

These bear season expansions in the units around the cities were not put in place to encourage people to hunt bears there. They were simply put in place so that anyone with a bear license could harvest a bear if they had the opportunity while they were deer hunting.

The expanded season is just there because it is better having the bears that expand into and closely around the cities harvested as trophy by a hunter than to have them shot as a threat or nuisance by a Police Officer. It is just to hopefully prevent further expansion of bears ranging into the cities.

If you really want to hunt for a bear though I would look at one of the other units in the state where bear sightings and harvests are generally a lot higher.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM

i agree these areas are not ideal habitat for a resident bear population..far, far to many people, not enough forest for a bear to make its abode..i think the game commission just wants to make sure bear do not start populating these areas. A resident bear population in these WMU's would reek havoc..just won't work, to many people plain and simple...huge , HUGE, HUGE!! difference between these areas and WMU's like 2G, 3B,4D,4B..ect, so the added bear season in these areas is to help do away with bears that get a notion to wander.... When a bear gets a notion he'd like a "night on the town'....the PGC ends up with some real headaches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page