Colorado elk hunters;good read - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Colorado elk hunters;good read

I was on another site thats mostly for diy hunters;onyourownadventures.com.If you check out the filming permit thread you may be very surprised about how ranching for wildlife works in Co.Long story short,Randy,the host on TV's on your own adventures,was attempting to get a filming permit to hunt PUBLIC ground for areas he has a tag.Only to find out it under the control of the ranch that has a ranching for wildlife permit;outfitter.Your public ground can now be given to a private ranch owner to run his hunts on,and keep you from hunting there.These are high dollar hunts run thru ranches with special regs on weapons.Not just an outfitter putting tents on land your still able to hunt
There was a post on this site a few weeks back concerning ranching for wildlife hunts for elk.I just wanted everyone to see what these outfits are doing to public land hunting.I know there are some diehard western hunters on here like myself,and I basically put this here for them to see,and get their thoughts.it would be the same as a farmer whos land butted into a large gameland here being able to take control of that land and charging you to hunt there or find someplace else.Pretty unbelievable in my eyes,and I would never support hunting a RFW land anywhere
I hope some of you take the time to read the post on the other site,before making comments
Large landowners out west have way too much control over hunting and permits;IMO.And, eventually, it could head east.Landowner tags are also a problem esp. in states like NM that are good for the entire unit,not just the landowners ranch.So, if you have the extra cash, you can avoid having to draw tough tags by buying them from a landowner.IMO,if a rancher has problems with wildlife, they should open their gates to hunters instead of making huge profits off of us that only the rich can afford.I hope the future of hunting doesn't continue in this direction or it will divide us by rich and poor and the antis will have a easy time overcoming us as we fight each other

yote addiction: a pack a day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Colorado elk hunters;good read

The Ranching For Wildlife program has its fans and critics. I for the most part support it. RFW lets Colorado residents draw for the right to hunt private ranch land enrolled in the program. In return for allowing limited access for a few hunters every year, the ranch gets guaranteed permits, and gets to set its own hunting seasons.

However, here is where things really get rotten. The Colorado DOW has basically given the exclusive hunting rights to certain landlocked BLM lands to RFW enrolled ranches. By doing so, the ranches acerage is increased, and the ranch is granted more permits to use for its high priced hunts. Your land is now off limits to you, for hunting. The rational is that DIY public land hunters can not access these lands. In reality, it has gotten to be quite popular, and affordable for DIY hunters to have their camps dropped into these landlocked parcels by hellicopter. Many of these landlocked BLM lands are thousands of acres. I can't imagine any everyday DIY hunter would think this land grab is ok. Its our land, and in these cases, its illegal for us to hunt it. Check out OYOA and voice your opinion. There are also some links posted where you can contact some of the state decision makers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In Colorado landlocked BLM land is not open to hunting by the general public. It's my understanding that Colorado BLM lands can only be legally hunted by the ranch it borders unless it contacts a public road. If the BLM land borders a public road then it is generally open for anyone to use.
Several years ago I hunted BLM land that connected corner to corner with other public land off a county road. The BLM land did not contact a public road but you could cross, corner to corner, without trespassing on the local ranch. DOW said that technically it was a violation but they would not enforce the law even when pressured by local ranchers to do so.
I've heard of the helicopter hunters also, again a technical violation of the law governing BLM's.
In the last couple of years DOW officials been trying toeliminate questionable BLM's by trading them for other land that would not cause enforcement issues.
If you plan on going to Colorado on a DIY hunt that includes BLM land stop in the local BLM office or DOW to make sure you are legally allowed to enter the property. Colorado is very landowner friendly. Landowners don't need to post their land, it's incumbent on you to know where you can legally hunt.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Part of the Community

A few facts remain.
These ranches get exclusive hunting rights and additional tags for OUR public lands. If you chopper in and hunt, you are in violation. Even though you haven't trespassed on anyone, and the lands are public owned.

I believe most landlocked BLM lands are still open unless granted this permission by the DOW.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) is a totally separate agency than the Bureau of Land Management.(BLM) The DOW doesn't get rid of land locked parcels. The trades are handled entirely by the BLM.

As far as corner hopping goes, be very careful. In Wyoming it is against the law to corner hop. Even with the accuracy of todays gps land ownership chips.

The laws vary from state to state. As Pappybear basically said, do your homework.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm glad you get it Ind. deer hunter.No public land should be given over to private land owners to gain profit from.another form of rich against poor hunters with large landowners making the profits.If its public, I should be able to fly into it and enjoy some outstanding hunting for my efforts,and at a reasonable cost;unlike the RFW fees

yote addiction: a pack a day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page