Woman bitten, scratched by black bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Woman bitten, scratched by black bear

Quote:
One pup is really a lucky dog after its owner stepped in and stopped it from being attacked by a bear Wednesday night in Monroe Co.

Police say the attack happened as Marie Klingel was walking her dog along Great Bear Way in East Stroudsburg around 9:00 p.m. That's when reports say a small black bear came out of the woods and tried to get to the dog.

Klingel, 54, of East Stroudsburg, attempted to intervene and was bitten and scratched by the bear; eventually the bear took off back into the woods.
Woman bitten, scratched by black bear while walking dog in East Stroudsburg, police say

White House moves to ban shredded cheese...Wants to make America grate again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Banned

Re: Woman bitten, scratched by black bear

Walking along "Great Bear Way" !

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
The Man

wonder if she takes the dog for a swim in bear creek at dusk?

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Somehow I think if I'd be walking my dog on Great Bear Way...I'd be packing. The fine for shooting the bear be cheaper than the investment in my dog should I end up getting burnt.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 PM

But our black bears are scaredy cats that run at a yell and wouldn't hurt a fly

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lady to be commended for saving her dog, we should be able to walk along a road with our pets. I would have been carrying but perhaps she has no firearms or no permit.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 AM

My wife and I walk our dogs every night and have been doing so for years. We live in a part of town next to the woods and where there are bears in the neighborhood on a regular bases. We wait until after dark to walk our dogs so we can avoid the majority of the other people walking dogs, even though we know we are more likely to encounter a bear after dark. We have seen bears on our nightly dog walks on numerous occasions. We have never had one of the bears attack us or our dogs but we have had other neighborhood dogs attack our dogs and even us on several occasions. Fortunately I have always been able to kick them off and away from us without our dogs, or us, ever being seriously injured. I guess I did rather serious injure one of the bigger and more aggressive dogs by kicking it away from us when it attacked though.

I guess maybe instead of just kicking or punching them I should start shooting the dogs when they attack since they seem to be much more of a threat than the bears have been?

Black bears in all of the United States have attacked and killed less then twenty–five people in all of recorded history. Dogs kill about that many people in the United States every single year and Pennsylvania is one of the leading states in dog attacks each year. Yet we don’t go running around shooting free roaming dogs because it would not be acceptable to society. Shooting a bear just because it might attack someone or something is ok though? Go figure.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Sage

The fine for discharging a firearm within the borough I live, is also cheaper than the investment in my dog. So loose running dogs getting aggresive would fall into the same clasification as a bear. Come to think of it I have a high deductable health insurance plan and the deductable is higher than the fines too. It's pretty much an economical thing.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPro2340
The fine for discharging a firearm within the borough I live, is also cheaper than the investment in my dog. So loose running dogs getting aggresive would fall into the same clasification as a bear. Come to think of it I have a high deductable health insurance plan and the deductable is higher than the fines too. It's pretty much an economical thing.
Defending against the lawsuit after shooting someone’s dog, even after it was doing the attacking, might not be so cheap though. Heck people go nuts about me putting the boots to their free roaming dogs when they attack let alone if I shot the darn things, and my dogs are always on a leash when we walk them so there is no question about which dog was the aggressor. With a couple of them I suspect had I shot their dog I would have had to shoot them as well before it was all over.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Sage

We don't usually have that problem should we have to shoot a free roaming dog. City living is much different than rural and an uncontrolled dog being agressive in most cases end up with the owner being cited even after the dog's dead. Be it a pittbull, doberman, shepard, or any of the other drug dealer preferred breeds you might end up with a good citizenship award.

But in most cases you will end up with a discharging a firearm in the borough or disorderly conduct charge which in most cases ends up on the minimal end of the sliding scale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page