Dead Bulls in Cameron County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Dead Bulls in Cameron County

I've heard that a local landowner, who has 2 acres of grains planted in Cameron County, has once again waged war on the elk. The local paper states that he shot and killed 2 bulls recently. And if I remember correctly, he shot several last year. This is all happening in the West Creek area, an area practically void of agriculture, like the rest of the county.

There is obviously a problem here. 2 acres is a decent chunk of land, but not too big to fence. To me it seems wasteful to keep killing these elk.

Now I don't know all the details, but it would only make sense for the PGC and landowner to start working together to resolve this issue. What do you guys think about all of this. Has anyone heard anything else?

If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Re: Dead Bulls in Cameron County

The same thing happened in Clinton County along RT. 120. if I recaLL ABOUT 12 YRS AGO , Some guy was growing pumpkins on 2 ac. and he shot about 10 elk.

Life Member NRA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768
The same thing happened in Clinton County along RT. 120. if I recaLL ABOUT 12 YRS AGO , Some guy was growing pumpkins on 2 ac. and he shot about 10 elk.
That was Adam Waltz, he still grows pumpkins and field corn. What I can't figure out is how can he plant on PennDOT right of way and Northfork Southern property. As I recall he was offered fence and help with the installation and turned it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM
The Man

[QUOTE=47studebaker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768
You can basically do whatever you want with penndot right-of-way, but if they want it, they can take it............

I don't get the people complaining about landowners dealing with destructive elk............you have no idea how destructive a few elk can be in a short amount of time...........I know I wouldn't want to deal with them constantly eating the stuff I plant, no matter what it is..........there was a small group of Elk that migrated up this way a few years ago, they ate 3/4 of a corn field in a few days........the field was so wet, that the farmer could not pick his corn, and the elk had their way with it.......he did end up shooting one of them for crop damage, with which I have zero problem...........just because they are elk people think they should be treated differently than deer............

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I don't get the people complaining about landowners dealing with destructive elk............you have no idea how destructive a few elk can be in a short amount of time...........I know I wouldn't want to deal with them constantly eating the stuff I plant, no matter what it is..........
I basically agree, but when you turn down an offer for fencing, well, it seems that is just turning to spite.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
dce
Sage

You're provided with the fence minus the installation.Fencing in 2 acres isn't a huge job but it's a job nontheless.Also,woven wire fencing is kinda ugly.I know for a fact that my wife would through a fit if I fenced in a couple acres with woven wire fence that was close to the house.

I personally don't know how a person could get away with killing anything for crop damage on only 2 acres.I also agree that it would be best to find some sort of better solution.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM

2 acres can generate alot of produce, thus, a fair amount of income. Even "specialty" crop like pumpkin. 2 acres of straight feed corn, probably not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

Not sure what the income ratio, or whatever, from the harvest is required for crop depradation.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
dce
Sage

I have a hard time believing a persons primary source of income can come from 2 acres,Who knows though.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Don't believe it has to be "primary" does it ? I mean, I can hobby farm 150 acres of corn and sell it, and I'm sure can kill for crop dep.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

It would be a question for a WCO to answer, but I always thought farmers had to be making a livelihood from farming before you or he could shoot a deer for damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page