Elk Hunting out West - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Elk Hunting out West

Finally decided to give elk hunting a try out in Colorado this fall. Trying to do some research and figure out what is the best approach to get the meat home if I am sucessful.

My dad and I are flying out to colorado, but not sure if renting a car and driving back would be cheaper than shipping the meat or paying the large fee's to check it on an airline.

Any insight people can give from their past experiences would be greatly welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Elk Hunting out West

I would bone out the meat, and have it frozen at a meat locker and drive home. You will have 3-4 large coolers full of meat for each elk. Keep some ice on it as it thaws of course. Have fun, sounds like a great time!

V10 advocate
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM

We drove home with our elk after a DIY hunt, and we had no problems getting it home and it did not spoil. We also drove out with the truck so we did not have to rent a car for the trip home.

If you are flying back, it would be cheeper to bring the meat back as extra bagage( $25-$30 per box of meat)than to rent a car and drive the 1000+ miles home. If you fly Southwest the bags(meat) fly free. Something to think about.

One thing to ask about is that if you fly back, some airlines will want you to split the skull to save space in the airlplane. Your guide can give you information on this.

Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Elk/Deer/Moose meat from Out West has to be boned out & skull cap completely cleaned to legally bring back into PA.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Regular Visitor

If you fly Southwest into Denver, first two bags are free and each additional bag is $50.00 if not over 50lbs. They want the skulls split and boxed or just boxed and $50.00 for that being that it is over sized. you may want to consider shipping your cloths Fed Ex, keeping your weapons and meat with you. I had a conversation with them last week because I was trying to solve the same problem coming from NM. make sure you call the airline you are using before you go.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Freeze it solid at a processors place, get (2) BIG Coleman coolers, then ship UPS 2-3 day ground. Or if you drive, do the same and drive it back with you. If you drive you can use lots of dry ice. If you ship it or fly it you will be limited in the amount of dry ice they allow you to use.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

If any way possible. Drive. Heck of a time shipping meat and frozen items. Will run you around $500 -800 per animal to get it back wether you ship it or check it on the airline
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM

htephil, that is not true. no meat has to be boned out. you are correct on the skull plate though. not all western states have cwd so the states with no confirmed cases of cwd swould not apply to what can and cannot be brought back to pa. colorado is a cwd state so the hunter would need to follow cwd regulations in pa. all that would need to be done is quarter your animal and place in game bags and then coolers on ice. you may not bring back any part of the spine or brain material. animal should be caped if being mounted and horns cut off of skull and shull plate cleaned and membrane removed. easy as that.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Drive,its much easier.I flew once and had a heck of a time getting my elk taken care of before missing my flight

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm
htephil, that is not true. no meat has to be boned out. you are correct on the skull plate though. not all western states have cwd so the states with no confirmed cases of cwd swould not apply to what can and cannot be brought back to pa. colorado is a cwd state so the hunter would need to follow cwd regulations in pa. all that would need to be done is quarter your animal and place in game bags and then coolers on ice. you may not bring back any part of the spine or brain material. animal should be caped if being mounted and horns cut off of skull and shull plate cleaned and membrane removed. easy as that.
I am pretty sure it has to be boned out from CWD positive states.

There is no "X" in my bow!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page