Problem Bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Problem Bear

Not sure where to post this question...I have been having a bear coming into the yard for about 2 months now. He has been knocking down my bird feeders and destroying garbage cans. I now keep my trash in the garage and bring my bird feeders in at night but he is still coming. I noticed he has been destroying the neighbors garbage cans when put out for pickup. He is coming through every 2-3 nights now. Last night he knocked over the my bird feeder post and there was not any feeder on it I guess he is angry I have been taking them in at night. Well last Weds night he came into the yard right before dark...8 PM. The neighbors children were playing outside and making a pile of noise, their dogs were barking...the bear didnt care. I opened the front door and began yelling and making a huge commotion...the bear just layed down and was looking right at the house. I am worried that he is going to come in before dak when my daughter and the neighbors children could be playing outside. I called the game commission and was told to keep everything in at night and the bear would eventually move on...which I have been doing for about 6 weeks...the bear is still coming through though. My question is what has to happen before the game commission takes any action?

Goin in early and stayin late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Problem Bear

The game commission can't relocate every bear that spends time around people.A few years ago,I had a similar problem as you,minus the bird feeders.We had at least 9 different bears coming in,some of which were obiously habituated with humans.They destroyed my Mckenzie target and hammered our garbage every time we put it out.The garbage was a challenge because they picked it up anywhere from 1:00 am to 6:00 am.Therefore,we had no choice but to put it out at night.After a few weeks of this,I put some ammonia in a balloon and taped the ballon to a garbage can with syrup on it.The bear popped the ballon,got a facefull of ammomia and never came back
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i bet if you shoot the bear they will take action lets just hope the bear dont hurt no 1 before they trap it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The amonia sounds like a great idea, know it keeps cats away.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

make your own trap and then call the game commission and tell them you got a bear in it, then see how fast they take some action.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

DCE, thanks for the ammonia idea. I will give that a try this week.
With the bear startig to cme into the yard during the daylight I am worried one of the kids will end up between the bear and where he wants to be.

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
dce
Sage

I seriously wouldn't worry about it.I've been between bears and where they wanted to be lots of times and never had one go through me yet.The bear is associating humans with food.He'll find a new food source soon and be gone.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The pgc recommends using a lawn rake to ward it off. My buddy had one coming in, I threw a quarter stick at it, he never came back again. I like that ammonia idea, I'll have to pass that one on.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Ammonia worked for me too. I had bears carrying my bags of garbage into the woods every garbage night. I poured a little ammonia in the bags before I twisted on the ties and then put a couple dimples on the top of the bags and filled them with ammonia. Problem solved.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
dce
Sage

If you pour some in a ballon and blow it up,they'll get a face full of mist,kinda like getting a shot of pepper spray.Works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page