Harvest number accuracy for bears - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Harvest number accuracy for bears

Does the GC only record the number of bear brought to a check station or do they add into the numbers a% for bears not recorded. The reason I ask this is that a big complaint by hunters is that they think the deer harvest reports are inaccurate but you never hear anyone complain about bear harvest accuracies. The GC estimate that up to 60%of deer go unreported, what is the percentage for bear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

Re: Harvest number accuracy for bears

Every bear that is killed in pa has to be checked in. I would say that the harvest numbers you see on the bear kill is 100%. Sproul
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wouldn't say 100% because theres always outlaws, but I'd bet its pretty darn close.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

I wasn't considering poaching and the possabilities of guys leaving dead cubs in the woods, I was trying not to bring that issue up. Ok bear harvest numbers are close to 100%. Sproul
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

So an actual check station is appox 100%, deer harvest reports are around 50%. Seems like a deer check station would then give a more accurate estimate to the total number of deer kill.Why not increase the price of liscenses to pay for people to work the check stations, do a 3 year study to see what the difference is check stations vs estimate harvest reports and see if there actual system is accurate.It surprises me that all bear hunters will report there kill but deer hunters don't.Isn't it alot easier for people to report a deer, definately less time consuming, no need to leave there house and drive somewhere at $4.00 a gallon. Why are bear hunters so honest and deer hunters aren't? Aren't they usually the same person?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned

Bear season is how many days? 3-4 days. Deer 6 weeks archery, 2 weeks rifle and 3 weeks muzzy & late archery. A lot of man powers (hours) for deer.

I'd rather see online & telephone for deer...no more cards. That way when cross checking field checks with harvest reports there would be no more "lost in the mail" excuse. Reporting would go up.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
The Man

Pete the amount of deer harvested is approx 60 times that of bear and as Frey stated the seasons are much longer for deer.

The costs associated and the manpower to run such check stations for deer would be bank breaking (and killer on a work schedule)

Putting Resource First
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 PM

I agree with Frey about the ease of using on-line and telephone for calling in deer kills. Makes things much easier and quick on the computer.

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Regular Visitor

As "Lost in the Sproul" brought up no one likes to think of the unethical hunters "slobs" but they are out there. I Know of one high ranking Fayette Co. official that has shot at least 2 bears in Dunbar SGL 51 took pictures of them and left them. Two different seasons from the same rock. He is 74 yrs. old and said that the GC wants them all killed and he is not having a heart attack taking them out of the woods. If some one reports him or others like him then stuff will happen to family members etc. So I do not hunt the area any more. I hope he gets caught some day.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM

If you know him and also know that he is shooting bears and leaving them lay, have you reported it to the Pgc?

You can remain anonymous.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page