Our bear mission tonight.... PICTURES! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Our bear mission tonight.... PICTURES!

A friend of mine was hunting New York today and she shot a nice bear with her bow at about 6:30. We went back and started tracking it around 8:00, and we found it at 9:30.

It went about 600 yards, and headed into a clearcut. About 50 yards in, it crawled under a top and stopped. We saw it, and it was still alive. One tracker saw it blink. We backed out because we didn't want to shoot it with a gun. At the edge of the clearcut, we heard the death moan.

So, back in after daylight. It should be a dead bear. If not, she'll have her bow with her. It will be work getting it out of that slashing, but worth it. She has a trail camera picture of it, and although I'm only guessing I'll bet it's 250 pounds. Low belly, short-looking legs.

More to come.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Our bear mission tonight....

good call!
hope she gets it!

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
The Man

It will be light soon. We're meeting at 7:30 to recover the bear. Pictures coming. (Crossed fingers.)

Steve

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

great job - cant wait for the pics. good luck.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Part of the Community

Good luck today
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

We got it. It was right where we left it last night. The arrow hit it too far back, and it was a quartering-toward shot -- not the easiest shot because you don't have to be far off to miss big. After being hit, it went about 600 yards. We think it figured the clearcut was its safe spot. It was only about 50 yards into the clearcut.

He (it was a boar) weighed about 150 pounds (our estimate after recovering him.) It's no wonder we guessed larger because we thought it was one they had on a trail camera, but now we don't think so. Also, it was real round and had thick legs, so it looked larger to her on the hoof.

It was tough to get out of the clearcut (good thing it didn't weigh 300.) From there, it was all uphill. We had a wheeled cart, which made it a lot easier. We had it back to the trucks by 9:00.

Funny thing -- right after she shot it, her husband called on the cellphone and said, "Honey, I just saw a bear!" She said, "I did too, and I shot it!"

Hearing that death moan last night helped us to sleep a little easier, but we still tossed and turned all night. It was a great hunt. They're on their way to the taxidermist now. Pictures later.

Steve

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM
The Man

awesome job... cant wait for the pics.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
The Man

Well done...let's see the pics!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Good deal!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Our bear mission tonight.... PICTURES!

"Honey, I just saw a bear!" Dick was calling Audrey on the cellphone."I saw one too," she replied, "and I shot it!" Dick didn't know where she was because she went to a different spot on his Chautauqua County, New York property than what she told him.

That's how our evening of Friday, October 28 started for Dick and Audrey, and their friends Wally and Steve. The tracking job began at about 8:00 with Wally taking the lead. Sometimes we saw lots of blood, other times we struggled to find drops the size of a pinhead. After about 400 yards we found Audrey's arrow, but the broadhead was broken off. It was still in him. The bear went a total of about 600 yards, and headed into a clearcut.

We had tracked the bear for an hour and a half in wet leaves. The forecast called for precipitation, and we were afraid if we called it off for the night we wouldn't find any blood sign in the morning. We got snow overnight, so we're glad we didn't give up. There's no way we could have followed in the morning.

Everywhere we shined a light, we saw a shadow. He could be hiding in any one of them. We weren't sure we should go into the slashing, but Wally led the way. About 50 yards in he saw the bear under a treetop. Was it dead? Dick shined the light on it and it blinked. Twice. There stood Wally, about 7 feet from a wounded bear. We decided to back out and wait until morning. When we got up on the bank above the clearcut, we heard a loud moan, and we felt pretty confident it was over. But we still couldn't retrieve him. In the darkness we could barely see anything in the tangled mess.

All the photos were taken in the morning. The orange flagging tape on the tree leaning to the right gave us a visual marker. The bear had holed up under the big log in the left. The other picture shows Audrey under the treetops with him, right where he died.

After some fitful sleep we met at 7:30 AM, and hiked to the spot we left last night. The bear was right where we left him, and it was dead. Now came the problem of getting him out of the clearcut and up the hill about 500 yards to Wally's truck.

The shot was a difficult one. He was quartering toward Audrey, which doesn't leave any room for error. You don't have to be far off to miss big, but fortunately she missed small. As a national archery 3D competitor (2011 ASA "Shooter of the Year" and IBO National Champion--Amateur Women's Division), she knows the rule "Aim small, miss small." The arrow got good penetration and the bear was bleeding out both sides. In all, it went about 600 yards. He must have figured the clearcut was its safe spot. It was only about 50 yards into the slashing where he chose his final bed. When we found him, he was either too weak to go on, or he was hoping we wouldn't see him under the tangled mess.

We figured he (it was a boar) weighed about 150 pounds. He was real round and had thick legs, so he looked larger when he was on his feet. He was tough to get out of the clearcut (good thing he didn't weigh 300.) From there, it was all uphill. Wally brought his wheeled cart, which made it a lot easier. We had the bear back to the trucks by 9:00, and it was time for coffee.

Audrey field dressed him with a Havalon knife. He's the third animal she has field dressed with the Havalon knife this season. She also did two does. Now she's ready for a big buck.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page