Huntingdon County bears? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Huntingdon County bears?

I've been going up to Raystown Lake every summer for years, but never bear hunted up there. I saw on the PGC report that they killed quite a few bears in Huntingdon County last year, but I've never seen one near the lake. Are most of them killed in the northern part of the county?

You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Re: Huntingdon County bears?

I think most are probably killed in the northern half, but only because I think there's more hunting pressure up there. There's quite a few bears down in the southern half where I hunt, but we just don't see as many hunters down there for some reason? Our population seems to be really exploding in southern Huntingdon/northern Fulton Counties.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thats kinda what I thought. I have a camper right near James Creek at the intersection of 26 and 994. I heard reports of bears being in the campground pool this summer and last summer, my buddy got a picture of one rooting through the dumpster at the boat ramp. I might head up this season and give it a shot. I can't have any worse luck than anywhere else I hunted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt down near that area, very new to the area. You seem to know that area very well. I apologize for asking, I am kind of embarrassed, but I did not get a chance to scout for bear as we are new to the Perry, Huntingdon, Fulton County areas. Could you help me find a direction to some places that would be a good place in that area to hunt? I would appreciate any help.

4B TUSCARORA
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I know the area pretty well, as a tourist. I never really hunted there except for a few times around the lake for deer and turkey. If you're heading north on Rt 26 from the Saxton area, the whole mountain range on your left is open to hunting. If you go left on 164, it will take you right up the mountain. I have heard that they get bear off of that mountain, but like you, I never hunted or scouted it.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM

I have heard that there's a large part of Buchanan state forest south of Route 30, just east of Breezewood, where they actually release "problem" bears from throughout the state. This is a huge expanse of forested mountain ground, with very few roads through it. It's easy to find, go to Breezewood, take rt 30 east to the top of the mountain at the DCNR office, which is also a bear check station, and go south on the only road into the state forest off route 30. We have a camp in the state forest on the north side of 30 and have seen bears frequently in that area as well. With them releasing bears in the area, the population is really exploding in Fulton county.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Huntingdon County has very few acorns but Fulton County has a good many...The mountain left of 26 is Tussey mountain that ussually has a high bear population...In Huntingdon County you can hunt SGL 67 near the town of Broad Top or SGL121 near the town of Waterfall...Both have very few acorns this year..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not too many bear on Tussey this year. Very little acorns. Lots of corn still standing across route 45. That's gotta be where they are. I usually see 8-14 a year. Have seen one so far.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Has anyone heard if there are alot of acorns on Jacks Mountain near the town of Orbisonia????
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut
I have heard that there's a large part of Buchanan state forest south of Route 30, just east of Breezewood, where they actually release "problem" bears from throughout the state. This is a huge expanse of forested mountain ground, with very few roads through it. It's easy to find, go to Breezewood, take rt 30 east to the top of the mountain at the DCNR office, which is also a bear check station, and go south on the only road into the state forest off route 30. We have a camp in the state forest on the north side of 30 and have seen bears frequently in that area as well. With them releasing bears in the area, the population is really exploding in Fulton county.
This is true as I know of a few in the past two years that have been released there. Its a lot of big woods hunting there. Nice area.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page